Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iCloud backup include audiobooks bought through iTunes.app?

Apple's technical note on iCloud backup [1] says it does NOT include:

• Content you didn't get directly from iTunes, App, or iBooks Stores, like imported MP3s, videos, or CDs
  • iTunes in the Cloud and App Store content (If it's still available in the iTunes, App, or iBooks Store, you can tap to re-download your already purchased content.)

So if you have a movie on your iPhone, it's not backed up but you can download it again from iTunes. I think, in fact, the Restore process will automatically download apps if they are still available on the app store.

But what about audiobooks? Like iBooks they can be purchased from iBooks.app, but unlike iBooks you can't re-download them. There are no past purchases. Some audiobooks can be very large -- hundreds of MBs.

Looking at Settings:Backups:Manage Storage I see iBooks.app is using 2-3MB. So clearly my audiobooks aren't included in that set, but I bought those via iTunes. Maybe if I'd bought them on my iPhone they would show up.

Does anyone know? If I had to bet I'd say these are not backed up with an iCloud backup. I think that might surprise people and it's not addressed in Apple's documentation AFAIK. [3]

[1] About backups in iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support

[2] About iBooks - Apple Support (Weirdly, but tapping 'Featured' in iBooks.app. Used to be a part of iTunes.app).

[3] An iTunes backup will include these of course, but that's not the question.

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 1:27 PM

6 replies

Jan 25, 2016 1:43 PM in response to razmee209

iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overviewdoesn't address audiobooks. It discusses "Purchase history for music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books", but not audiobooks. Unlike those other items audiobook past purchases cannot be downloaded from the Cloud.

I know my iCloud backup doesn't include my audiobooks, but as noted above I did purchase them on my Mac.

Mar 14, 2016 7:30 AM in response to jfaughnan

Apple has just enabled redownload of audiobooks: Download your past purchases - Apple Support. The UI is weird at the moment; you can't download from the purchase history, you have to go the actual book. I wonder if this is a side-effect of how Audible and Apple work together (system integration problem), but apparently the 9.3 iOS release will fix things.

So there's hope that in the near future when you replace your iPhone you won't lose all the audiobooks you purchased on the iPhone (for someone who doesn't sync to iTunes). That is, iPhone iCloud backup will actually work the way people think it works. You won't lose all your audiobooks when you switch phones.

Does iCloud backup include audiobooks bought through iTunes.app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.