Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Archaic Apple Software?

Ever since Apple stopped distribute old or archaic software, where can I find a substitute?

Mac Plus 1mb-OTHER, Other OS, System 6

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 1:50 PM

9 replies

Jan 26, 2016 8:35 AM in response to Allan Jones

Sorry, rookie mistake.

I’m currently looking for language specific versions of System 6.0.8 (Swedish in particular) to use with my Mac Plus 1mb and Hard Disk 20 emulator.

As far as I know, Apple used to distribute them from there site a while back. Is there any substitute site that holds the original 800K installations .dsk’s?

Thanks,

Kristian Möller

Jan 29, 2016 3:33 AM in response to Kristian M

Thanks, Kristian--just what we needed!

Yes, Apple once had a long list of old software posted but, about two years ago pulled most downloads for pre-OSX files. I do not agree with their decision but they seem to show a penchant for distancing themselves from their history.

As many old files on the web are now hosted by download sites that will give you more than you want--in the form of adware or malware--I feel your best action is to work through a Mac Users Group--"MUG". Members are more likely to have safe copies of old files. You can use this link to find groups in your area:

http://appleusergroupresources.com/find-a-group/

Note that you do not have to physically travel to most groups to get help. You can e-mail or use their web site to pose a "Looking for...." question.

Allan

Sep 2, 2016 9:57 AM in response to Kristian M

If you are looking for OS 9 or earlier software or system files, the "Vintage Mac Museum" software page has a list of sites that host old software for Macs running Mac OS 9 and earlier. Many of them host old versions of System 6. I'm not sure about non-English language System files, but maybe you'll you'll find it on one of the sites. Link

Unfortunately it looks like Apple removed a bunch of their old System 7.1 software they used to host in their downloads section. That or they moved it somewhere else I am not aware of. I think they used to host System 6 files. Maybe someone knows of a mirror or an update URL if they moved it. I know they still host updates for Mac OS 9, so maybe it's there somewhere.

There are also user groups out there that share software, like Allan Jones suggested. There are also email lists and web forums.

There's also eBay. You probably won't find your specific version of System 6, but you never know. It's a good place to check for finding older software on their original floppies or CDs/DVDs.

Good Luck!

Archaic Apple Software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.