Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Time Machine Backups After OS Reinstall Just Keep Going?

Hi -

I did a complete reinstall of OS X 10.6 on an old Macbook Pro (early 2010?) using the discs that came with it. (Just wanted to start fresh.) Prior to the reinstall, I'd been running Time Machine for about 6 weeks.

My question: If I now fire up Time Machine using the same back up drive, will it just keep stacking new backups on the old ones? So the backup history will show the original installation up to a certain date, and then the new installation appears?

I'm hoping that's the case, and that doing so is advisable. (I know I can just start a new backup, but I'd rather have access to the old ones.)

Once I have the backups figured out, I'll be updating to 10.7.

Any help would be much appreciated!

-Mike

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2016 8:01 AM

My question: If I now fire up Time Machine using the same back up drive, will it just keep stacking new backups on the old ones?

It should.

It may or may not do a complete backup. Normally after an erase/reinstall it probably will.

http://pondini.org/TM/D3.html

3 replies

Will Time Machine Backups After OS Reinstall Just Keep Going?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.