Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to network print from Mac Pro to Canon LBP9100Cdn

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a Canon LBP9100Cdn to print from a new Mac Pro. Here are details of my setup:

1. Mac Pro is out of the box earlier this week, latest software updates have been applied, so it's running OS X 10.11.3.
  2. The printer has had the latest firmware patches applied.
  3. I've downloaded the driver from the Canon website: version 3.40. Another computer which is using the printer OK is using 3.80. When I try and run version 3.80 under 10.11.3, the driver refuses to run saying that the OS version is not supported.
  4. The printer, a Mac Mini Server, and a couple of computers are all connected into a hub.
  5. I have set up the printer with a static IP address
  6. All devices are on the one subnet, with the gateway and DNS all being performed by a FritzBox
  7. I can both ping the printer and also connect to its admin page via Safari (not that the admin software on the printer is much chop...)
  8. I am only connecting to the printer (in terms of ping, web, and setting up printer queues) using IP address only, not any DNS names

So, when I try and set up the queue using the control panel, any time I choose IPP or LPD as the connection method, I get an error message saying that the printer cannot be verified on the network, but would I like to set it up anyway. If I choose HP JetDirect - Socket, it will happily connect. (Note, on the other computer, and old Power Mac, it used to happily set itself up using IPP, until recently, when the print queue died and I had to set it up using the HP socket).

However, when I try and print, the jobs hang in the printer queue. In the Printers control panel, it claims that the printer is in use (at least the queue is), but checking directly with the printer shows that the job was a) never received, and b) the printer is in idle state (i.e. not in use). And, for completeness, the print jobs never appear.

(Side note, but possibly related -- a few months ago when I was using the printer with an iMac, I had to continually set up fresh printer queues for it. It's as though the queues I set up then had no persistence. They were set up using IPP and worked OK in a one-time-use sense (now that was painful)).

If I connect directly via USB, printing works fine. However, this is possible only in debugging mode, and won't be suitable for long term use.

• I have tried having the Mac Pro connect both via wired and wireless networks, no difference (wired is planned mode for the setup).
  • I've turned everything off and on again, to no avail.
  • I've uninstalled printer drivers, and reinstalled them. (I've even waited 10 minutes between deleting drivers and a queue and setting up a new one, based on a recommendation on one of these boards!)

Has anyone seen anything like this before, and have some kind of a fix? Any help or suggestions appreciated; I've spent several hours tearing what little is left of my hair out on this one.

Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 6:17 PM

1 reply

Unable to network print from Mac Pro to Canon LBP9100Cdn

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.