Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since I last used FaceTime I forgot my password, so started a new account. I got stuck at a screen which had a "next" button, but nothing happens when I click on that. I tried turning it on and off; I tried trashing the application so I could reloa

Since I last used Face Time I forgot my password, so I started a new account. I got to a screen which had a "next" button, but nothing happens when I click on that. I tried reloading the program, then I tried trashing it altogether, but was not allowed to, so I'm stuck being able to do nothing. I thought there might be a new version but I can't get rid of my version (which is Version 3.0.)

I am using an iMac Version 10.9.5.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 7:35 PM

1 reply

Jan 27, 2016 6:58 AM in response to sidresdner

Hi sidresdner,

The Apple ID you used for FaceTime is also used for all of the other things you do with Apple. So, creating another Apple ID account is not the way to resolve your issue with FaceTime. The links below will help you manage your existing Apple ID account.

If you forgot your Apple ID password
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201487

Your Apple ID is the account you use for everything you do with Apple, like shopping the iTunes Store, signing in to iCloud, buying an app, and more. To reset your password, you'll need to know the email address for your Apple ID. If you're not sure which email address it is, there are a few ways you can find your Apple ID.

Reset your password

You can reset your password when you go to your Apple ID account page and click Forgot Apple ID or password. Enter your Apple ID, then click Next.

User uploaded file

After you enter your Apple ID, there are a few ways you can change your password:

Answer your security questions

If you know the answers to your security questions, select "Answer security questions" and follow the steps to reset your password.

Use email authentication

If you select "Get an email," we'll send an email to your primary or rescue email address that you can use to reset your password. Didn't get the email?

User uploaded file

If you use two-step verification

If you set up two-step verification, you can use it to change your password. You just need a recovery key and a trusted device. Follow these steps:

Enter your Recovery Key.

User uploaded file

1. Choose a trusted device. We'll send your device a verification code.
  2. Enter the verification code.
  3. Set a new password and select Reset Password.

If you permanently lost your recovery key or access to your trusted device, you can't change your password.

If you use two-factor authentication

If you have two-factor authentication, you can reset or change your password from your trusted iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you follow these steps:

1. Go to Settings > iCloud.
  2. Tap your name.
  3. Tap Password & Security.
  4. Tap Change Password.
  5. Enter a new password.

These steps will work only from a trusted device with a device passcode enabled. If you don’t have access to a trusted device, you can reset your password when you follow these steps:

1. Go to iforgot.apple.com and enter your Apple ID.
  2. Enter your trusted phone number and click Continue.
  3. Enter the verification code that we send to your trusted phone number.
  4. Provide any additional account information requested.
  5. Choose your new password.

If you can’t sign in, reset your password, or receive verification codes, you can request account recovery to regain access to your account. Account recovery will take a few days, depending on what account information you can give.

Manage your Apple ID account information

FaceTime for Mac: Troubleshooting FaceTime

Activating FaceTime for Mac

Use your Apple ID to register and use FaceTime. FaceTime registration validates your Apple ID and email address for use with FaceTime.

If you are unable to activate FaceTime, try the following:

Sign in to FaceTime for Mac using a valid Apple ID. After you validate the email address for use with FaceTime, other FaceTime users can connect to you using that email address. If you encounter issues registering or using an Apple ID account:

• Ensure that you have an active Internet connection.
  • Verify that you are using a valid Apple ID at appleid.apple.com. You can also create an Apple ID or reset your password from this website.
  • Check that your email address is verified in FaceTime > Preferences.

If FaceTime > Preferences shows your email status as "verifying," follow the instructions in the verification email that was sent to complete the process.

• Toggle FaceTime off and on in FaceTime > Preferences.
  • If still unable to Sign In follow the instructions in FaceTime, Game Center, Messages on OS X: Troubleshooting Sign in

Take care,

Since I last used FaceTime I forgot my password, so started a new account. I got stuck at a screen which had a "next" button, but nothing happens when I click on that. I tried turning it on and off; I tried trashing the application so I could reloa

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.