Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I optimized HD by using a time machine restore?

??

I recently deleted all my data from my Time Machine and then started fresh with a new total backup.

QUESTION: Is this new total Time Machine backup in some way 'optimized' -- maybe the data better organized on the disk?

If so, then if I was to now erase my HD and restore from this new Time Machine fresh backup, would that be good?

Or have I started believing some unfounded computer myths and urban legends?

Thanks for any insights into this.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Camera, music gear, Wacom tablet.

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 11:23 AM

No and NO.. and really don't do it.

You will get no improvement whatsoever.

The old stuff about optimising disks is all finished.. If the disk is slow in your Mac replace it with SSD.

4 replies

Feb 8, 2016 11:24 AM in response to 60wpm

Is this new total Time Machine backup in some way 'optimized' -- maybe the data better organized on the disk?

The Time Machine data is simply a copy of the data your Mac. Nothing more....nothing less.

if I was to now erase my HD and restore from this new Time Machine fresh backup, would that be good?

There would be absolutely no benefit at all to doing this. All that you are doing is copying the same data from one drive to another.

Or have I started believing some unfounded computer myths and urban legends?

We have no idea what you might have "heard" from another source. But, if they are claiming to "optimize", "clean", "keep", "speed up", or anything like this.......they are a scam.

Can I optimized HD by using a time machine restore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.