Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imported backed up songs not showing in iTunes Music

I have recently updated my PC, and before I did, I back up over 6000 songs to an external hard drive.

I have now moved them to the new PC and ensured that they are in the correct folder from where iTunes stores music. I have even tested the location of where iTunes stores my music by downloading a song and double checking to see if it is in the same folder as my imported 'backed up' music, which it is.

Problem is, none of the my backed up songs are showing up in my iTunes music. It does show all the previously purchased songs, and the newly purchased song. If I go to the folder where my music was moved to, and double click 1 song to play in iTunes it then shows in my iTunes music. How on earth do I get them all to show, please do not tell me I have to do this for all 6000+ songs.

Please someone save me.

Windows 10

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 9:01 PM

1 reply

Jan 27, 2016 7:49 AM in response to dr70

Hello there, dr70.

It sounds like you've taken the appropriate steps for moving your iTunes Library from an older computer to your new Mac using an external drive. See if reviewing the steps recommended in this Knowledge Base article provide a step that may have been overlooked:

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer

Use an external drive

If you're using this method on a Mac:

1. From the Finder menu, choose Preferences.
  2. Make sure that the boxes next to "External disks" and "Hard disks" are enabled.

Part 1: Install iTunes

Download and install the latest version of iTunes.

Part 2: Move any new content

If you’ve used iTunes on your new computer, move your media to a new folder. This will keep anything you added to your new computer separate from your old library. These files can be added back to your library in Part 4. Move your iTunes Media folder (Mac)
Move your iTunes Media folder (Windows)

Part 3: Copy the iTunes backup from your old computer

To copy all of your media files, including the library file that holds all your playlists and other settings, to your new computer:
  1. Locate the following folder on your new computer.
    • Mac: Choose Go > Home from the Finder menu bar. Double click the Music folder.
    • Windows XP: Navigate to \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\.
    • Windows Vista: Navigate to \Users\username\Music\iTunes.
    • Windows 7 and Windows 8: Navigate to \Users\username\My Music\iTunes.
  2. Drag the iTunes folder in this location onto the desktop.
    Mac: From the Music folder to the Desktop:
    User uploaded file
    Windows: From the My Music folder to the Desktop:
    User uploaded file
  3. Locate the external drive on your new computer:
    • Mac: On the desktop.
    • Windows: In My Computer or Computer.
  4. Double-click the external drive icon to open it.
  5. Drag the iTunes folder from your external drive to the Music folder (Mac) or My Music Folder (Windows) on your new computer. The transfer might take a while if you have a lot of content.
    Mac: From the external drive to the Music folder:
    User uploaded file
    Windows: From the external drive to the Music library:
    User uploaded file
  6. Open iTunes.

You've now moved all of your music, playlists, and other information—including play counts and ratings—from your old computer to your new one.

Part 4 (optional): Add back new content

Copy the iTunes Media folder you created in Part 2 into the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder inside the iTunes Media folder you copied in Part 3. iTunes will automatically import the content.

Thanks for being a part of Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

Imported backed up songs not showing in iTunes Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.