You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have forgotten my Keychain password, it keeps asking me to put in my password for ''login'' keychain but I don't know it. Following other instruction i deleted ''login'' keychain and it didn't solve anything. I now cannot log into iCloud?

I have forgotten my Keychain password, it keeps asking me to put in my password for ''login'' keychain but I don't know it.

Following other instruction I deleted ''login'' keychain and it didn't solve anything, it keeps coming up 'restore to default'.

I now cant log in to my iCloud on my Macbook so have nothing on here.

I don't know the first things about MacBooks and how to sort this out, please help me?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), I purchased it in 11.2015

Posted on Jan 26, 2016 6:11 AM

10 replies

Jan 27, 2016 4:54 PM in response to Liana1996

Hi Liana and Gerald

By default your Keychain Password is the same as your user password. Try that first.

If you set up the computer, the first user account created is also an Administrator and as noted in the linked article, Admins can change passwords for any user. If you have other users and one is an Admin, they can reset password.

While setting up your computer you were given the opportunity to login in and change passwords using your Apple I.D. and if you clicked ok, then you can also reset using your Apple I.D.

Most likely, this is the same Apple I.D. and password you use in the App Store, iTunes, iCloud, etc….

You could (and I do) have entirely separate Apple I.Ds and passwords associated with the different services. Most people only have one.

If you still can't access your computer, you can either get Apple to help, looks like you are still under warranty so you have both Apple Store Genius Bar support and also phone support.

If all else fails, or if you resolve it, post again.

Hope this helps, Greg

Nov 25, 2016 10:35 AM in response to UlmerkL

Hi UlmerkL

Did you read the links above?

Here is another article you can read with step by step instructions… https://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/reset-forgotten-admin-password-mac-osx/

Please be aware that you still need to know your Apple I.D. for logging into Apple.com services. You can try to recover your password if you set up the password help when originally setting up computer.

You will also most likely need to create a new "Login Keychain" and enter all your passwords for wifi networks etc… as you won't have access to old keychain unless you can remember that keychain's password.

Please be aware that I have to guess what is going on in your situation because you haven't given any details of what you have tried and the results. Are you the only user? Did you try your password you use when you start your computer? Did you set up your user account to "Allow user to reset password using Apple I.D." ? Check in System Preferences > Users and Groups > Passwords.

Do you know your Apple I.D.?

Would also be helpful to know what OS you are on, El Capitan ??

Hope this helps, Greg

I have forgotten my Keychain password, it keeps asking me to put in my password for ''login'' keychain but I don't know it. Following other instruction i deleted ''login'' keychain and it didn't solve anything. I now cannot log into iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.