Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV, second generation, won't play on LG TV

I bought a new LG Tv and although I can hear the sound from a programme I have downloaded onto my Ipad I can't see the picture. I did not have this problem with my old TV. The Ipad plays the programme, I can select Apple TV but only the sound comes through. Anyone know the reason for this? thanks Jennie

Posted on Jan 26, 2016 6:18 AM

6 replies

Jan 26, 2016 8:13 AM in response to jennie77

The new TV is off the hook. Others have reported this and I believe it was resolved by doing software updates on both sides (iPad and ATV). I think it is a bug when software does not match.

Try running the software update on the iPad in settings to make sure you are up to date.

Try running the software update on the ATV in settings to make sure it is up to date.

Restart both and see if the speaker changes to the TV.

Jan 26, 2016 8:48 AM in response to jennie77

There are no updates for your Apple TV unless you have the Apple TV 4, even so changing your TV shouldn't affect how your Apple TV works unless you have some sort of HDMI issue with the new TV or cable.

Did you check whether you should be able to see video when air playing this content. If you should be able to...

1. Check AirPlay is turned on on the Apple TV (turn it off and on if it already is)
  2. Check that both devices are on the same network (Settings > Wifi, on the mobile device and Settings > General > Network, on the Apple TV).
  3. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  4. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  5. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  6. Restart your mobile device.

If you are still having problems, the following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting AirPlay

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

When making adjustments to your network for better optimisation, you may find some of the points mentioned on this page helpful.

Apple TV, second generation, won't play on LG TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.