Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Super drive not showing up on desk-top

I have 2 very new IMacs. Both have been purchased this year and they both are experiencing the same problem. I am unable to use the Apple super drive that I bought on either of the computers.

1. I plug the apple drive into a USB port.

2. I checked the System prefs. and set up what action will be taken when I insert a Cd or Dvd.

3. I go to the Apple on my computer and then

go to about this Mac

and then to System report

Hardware

USB

USB Device Tree

USB 3.0 Hi-Speed Bus

Apple USB SuperDrive ( THE DRIVE DOES NOT APPEAR ON THE DESKTOP)

4. I have tried several different cd's in the SuperDrive. ( store bought cd's. my photo cd's and music cd's. I can hear the drive reading the cd's. but then it pops the cd out.

I took the apple super drive into a Apple store thinking the problem was the Apple Drive. The service person plugged the drive into one of the Imac's at the store and it worked on his computer.

I keep thinking it is some small thing I am leaving out.

HELP

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jan 26, 2016 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2016 9:06 AM

FWIW, A SuperDrive won't appear until a disk is inserted. You also have to have "CDs, DVDs, and IPods" checked in the Finder Preferences under Devices.

SuperDrives, afaik, have to be plugged directly into the USB ports in the back of the iMac.

13 replies

Jan 26, 2016 3:12 PM in response to dialabrain

Thanks for your reply dialabrain.

I have inserted the disk and once it is read it pops right out of the apple drive. Never shows up on the desktop

My Super drive is plugged directly into the USB port in the back of the IMac

I have also set up the finder prefs.to

Show these items on the desktop (they are all checked)

hard disks, external disks, cd's, dvds and Ipods, connected servers

If you have any other ideas let me know.

Sandy

Apple Super drive not showing up on desk-top

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.