Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture crashes when opening library

Hardware Environment:

- Macbook Pro Mid-2012 w/240 Gb OWC SSD

- 27" Thunderbolts display

- OWC external Thunderbolt enclosure with one 3 Tb Western Digital hard drive and one 1.5 Tb WD hard drive.

- Macbook and OWC enclosure both connected to Thunderbolt display

Software Environment:

- OS X El Capitan 11.2.4 Beta (15E27e)

- Aperture 3.6

- 190 Gb managed Aperture library consisting of about 37,000 photos stored on the 3 Tb drive

- Smaller managed library on the Macbook's SSD (used while on the road)

Issue description:

About a week ago, Aperture crashed while I was performing a bunch of usual tasks (importing, editing, cataloging). It crashed repeatedly upon each attempt to re-open until I got the warning that repeated crashes indicate a problem (really?) and I should repair the database. I did so; still crashed. I repaired permissions; still crashed. I rebuilt the database; still crashed. As a last resort, I created a new library and tried to perform a restore from the vault that I religiously kept up to date on the 1.5 Tb external drive, but the restore operation locked up the machine about 2/3 of the way through and then, hands off, the Macbook rebooted. I reopened the new file that Aperture was attempting to create during the restore operation. There were a lot of photos that made it over. and a lot that didn't.

At this point I thought that it would be a good idea to 'relocate' those photos that survived the restore, i.e. convert them from 'managed' to 'referenced', so that if I could never get Aperture to run again I'd at least have something left. Aperture crashed partway through the relocation process. I downloaded a trial copy of Capture One Pro 9, and tried importing the Aperture library, but it crashed after about 8000 images. In short, I cannot get at all of my 37,000 photos in Aperture!

Here's the really interesting part: if I run Aperture using my MUCH smaller library on the MacBook's internal SSD, it works fine and is stable. Aperture had been running fine with this library under this beta version of El Capitan for some time before the issue arose. If I import the entire library into Photos, they all come over, but I loose the several books that I have built or are in the process of designing and I loose my catalog structure.

It certainly seems that there is some kind of corruption in the bigger library that the built-in repair tools can't detect or can't fix. Can anyone think of any way to fix this outside of starting over in the Photos app?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 8 Gb RAM, 240Gb SSD

Posted on Jan 26, 2016 11:59 AM

8 replies

Jan 26, 2016 12:13 PM in response to Brian Shaw3

- OS X El Capitan 11.2.4 Beta (15E27e)

Are you running El Capitan 10.11.2 Beta or 10.11.4 Beta? Your version number is somewhere in between?

If you are running the 10.11.2 Beta version of El Capitan, consider to upgrade to the current newer stable version of MacOS X 10.11.3. ItThe stable version has been released a few days ago.

About a week ago, Aperture crashed while I was performing a bunch of usual tasks (importing, editing, cataloging).

What happened directly before the crashes started? Did you import new photos?

If you imported some corrupted media, Aperture may be crashing when trying to render previews. To test this, try to launch Aperture while holding down the Shift key on launch. This will defer the generation of previews. If you can get access to the Aperture library this way, try to export and remove the photos you last imported. If one of these photos is should be causing the problems, you might be able to repair your Aperture library after you removed these photos.

Jan 26, 2016 1:21 PM in response to léonie

Oops; typo; my Bad. Running 10.11.4 which, as I said, had not been interfering with Aperture between the time of its initial release (about two weeks ago, maybe?) and the recent crashing problem about 3 or 4 days ago. I cannot recall with certainly what I was doing at the time of the initial crash, but it is entirely possible that I was importing. I'll try your suggestion right now (didn't know I could do that, so thanks!). I'll report back.

Jan 26, 2016 1:37 PM in response to léonie

Wow! It's been about 5 minutes now after a restart with the shift key held down. Aperture is staying up! I'm going to let it stay as is for a bit longer before I decide what to do next. I looked in the 'last import' folder and everything in it has been there for quite a while, so I don't think a recent import is the issue. But by looking in the trash folder I was reminded what I had been doing when things went 'south' on me: deleting a bunch of images. I just emptied the trash and think the next step may be to attempt a restart with that stuff gone. Stay tuned léonie

Jan 26, 2016 2:11 PM in response to Brian Shaw3

You could also disable the generation of previews in Aperture's Preferences, but only, idf you do not need them in the Media Browser.

After you launch Aperture, open the Activity window (Window > Show Activity). This way you can see, what Aperture is currently processing i the background. if you can catch one of the file names in the window, you might recognize the the project that is currently processed.

Perhaps this user tip can help you to narrow down the problem: How to Screen an Aperture Library for Corrupted Image Files or Videos

Jan 26, 2016 4:22 PM in response to léonie

You are a lifesaver léonie. I tried your suggestion about opening the Activity window. It showed no activity of any kind for about a minute or so. Then an entry popped up but Aperture crashed so quickly that I had no chance whatsoever to read what it said. So I tried it again but used my iPhone's camera to record a slo-motion video of the screen and voila! Caught it (see attached). The single image in question looked perfectly fine, but after I deleted it, Aperture now behaves perfectly normal. THANK YOU!

User uploaded file

Aperture crashes when opening library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.