Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm trying to have VO read my emails on my iPad, I'm using an Apple bt keyboard and don't do gestures, how can I get the email to be read? 2 fingers swiped down does not work!

I'm trying to have VO read my emails on my iPad Air running iOS 9.2 in landscape mode (list on left side and email open on right side), I'm using an Apple bt keyboard and don't do gestures, how can I get the email to be read? 2 fingers swiped down does not work!

Also how do I use spell check?

Thank you!!!

iPad Air, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 26, 2016 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2016 5:24 PM

Virtual Keyboard:

You can use spell check with VoiceOver, by hitting backspace when you hear "misspelled" a pop up menu with replacement options appears. You can flick left and right with one finger to navigate the choices. As always, double tap to make your selection.

One of the ways to get your email list read on the left side is to select the first email and then do the two finger swipe down. You can also use the rotor to select headings and then do the two finger swipe down.

To get the actual text of the email read, select the email from the left side and select the "subject of the email" then do the two finger swipe down. The entire email will now be read.

Hardware Keyboard:

I don't have a working bluetooth keyboard at the moment, so I can't confirm all the keyboard commands will work with mail. Here is the documentation on using a keyboard with VoiceOver from Apple. http://help.apple.com/iphone/5/voiceover/en/iph6c494dc6.html

-AJ

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2016 5:24 PM in response to olinmaybloom

Virtual Keyboard:

You can use spell check with VoiceOver, by hitting backspace when you hear "misspelled" a pop up menu with replacement options appears. You can flick left and right with one finger to navigate the choices. As always, double tap to make your selection.

One of the ways to get your email list read on the left side is to select the first email and then do the two finger swipe down. You can also use the rotor to select headings and then do the two finger swipe down.

To get the actual text of the email read, select the email from the left side and select the "subject of the email" then do the two finger swipe down. The entire email will now be read.

Hardware Keyboard:

I don't have a working bluetooth keyboard at the moment, so I can't confirm all the keyboard commands will work with mail. Here is the documentation on using a keyboard with VoiceOver from Apple. http://help.apple.com/iphone/5/voiceover/en/iph6c494dc6.html

-AJ

Jan 27, 2016 6:21 PM in response to olinmaybloom

My replacement bluetooth keyboard arrived today, so I wanted to update my reply to give specifics for a BT keyboard. These are the ways I have found work, but there are probably other ways as well.

To use spell check with a bluetooth keyboard:

1. Turn on Quick Nav by pressing the left and right arrow keys
  2. Then press the up and right arrow keys together. This will bring up the rotor, keep pressing them until you hear "edit" (This won't need to be done every time)
  3. When you spell a word wrong, and hear "misspelled" hit backspace.
  4. A menu will pop up. Use the right arrow key to navigate the menu, when you hear the correct word, press the up and down arrow keys together to make your selection.

After the first time, unless you use the rotor for other tasks, you can follow steps 1, 3, and 4 to use spell check.

Using Apple Mail with a bluetooth keyboard:

If you find the email you want read in the left hand list side (I use the arrow keys), use VO-Space to select it, then use VO-B to have the email read aloud.

-AJ

I'm trying to have VO read my emails on my iPad, I'm using an Apple bt keyboard and don't do gestures, how can I get the email to be read? 2 fingers swiped down does not work!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.