Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Apply to Enclosed Items" permissions HOME FOLDER

Hello.

This is more of an informational issue - I was having something odd happen on my Mac - and called Apple. My Photos Library back up size was different than the one on my Hard drive. After another manual run of TM it changed.

Without hesitation the first thing Apple had me to was to "Get Info" on my home folder and change permissions to "Apply to Enclosed Items" - it took awhile.

Afterward, Time Machine indicated it had 139+ GB to back up. My entire hard drive. Few hours later it finished. I have another TM drive that I did NOT force a back up on before I noticed things gone awry and before the above changed per Apple.

Since, and maybe this happened afterward, unsure of the timeline, whenever I open, modify a document Finder won't note those different times. Upon rebooting, Photos will say in Finder that the library has been opened and modifed at boot time.

My concern/question is that I was given very bad advice with the "Apply to Enclosed Items" at my home folder level (every bit of data that is mine) - I wasn't experiencing permission issues that were obvious to me. Everyone and everywhere I turn I see and read that doing that is a very BAD idea.

Now, engineering is looking at my things - but wonder if I haven't past the point of no return. I do have my data on a drive with the flag set at "ignore ownership" and am using iCloud Photo Library so if we have to wipe and reload I do have those things I may rely on.

Any wisdom is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

H

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jan 26, 2016 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2016 11:21 AM

Here are a couple of alternatives for doing it right:

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported then click on the Repair Permissions button. When the process is completed, then quit DU and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Repair Permissions for Home Folder

Boot into Single-user Mode then enter each command line pressing RETURN after each:

chmod -R -N /Users/username

chown -R username:staff /Users/username

chmod -R 600 /Users/username

After each command has been run restart the computer by entering:

reboot

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2016 11:21 AM in response to pinkapplemac

Here are a couple of alternatives for doing it right:

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported then click on the Repair Permissions button. When the process is completed, then quit DU and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Repair Permissions for Home Folder

Boot into Single-user Mode then enter each command line pressing RETURN after each:

chmod -R -N /Users/username

chown -R username:staff /Users/username

chmod -R 600 /Users/username

After each command has been run restart the computer by entering:

reboot

Jan 26, 2016 11:35 AM in response to pinkapplemac

Given it's the Home folder where you 'own' everything it shouldn't matter because you want everything to belong to you. But it's a bad idea outside of the Home folder where it can really screw up the system.

I don't think there is any reason to be concerned. And, if you find you can't open something in your Home folder because of a permission error, then you can always change it for that file. So I would not be worried.

Jan 26, 2016 11:41 AM in response to Kappy

The home - the House icon - we are on the same page, yes?

Aren't there libraries and system structures that are OS involved under that umbrella like Photos and iMovie - but I don't know enough to know anything, really.

- H

a Former PC user - I don't tinker with computers so I rely on good instruction from my paid Apple support and TRULY a wonderful support community!🙂

Jan 26, 2016 12:03 PM in response to pinkapplemac

We are on the same page. 😀

Yes, there are lots of libraries, especially the Applications Support folder, but I do not think it really matters what their permissions are. All of mine that I've checked are owned by me. If there were a problem the OS would let you know with a pop-up dialog.

Photos and iMovie are not in the Home folder. They are in the Applications folder. You haven't changed permissions there, and you don't want to.

Jan 26, 2016 12:25 PM in response to Kappy

Right - but MY libraries are under that home folder- correct?

That's where I navigate from to copy my Photos Library from when I keep it on an external drive as another back up successfully. (Even though I can also navigate to it from my Pictures folder.)

Just want to be sure this newbie has it right - thank you AGAIN in advance for your kind reply. Feeling dumb... 😐

- H

Jan 26, 2016 12:47 PM in response to Kappy

I just found this:

"and in the future NEVER ever use "apply to enclosed items" on ANY system created folders. that applies btw to things like your home folder, the library in your home folder, your desktop folder etc. use it only on folders you made yourself. apart from messing up permissions on system files like those in the root library, many system created folders like your home folder have hidden ACLs and using 'apply to enclosed items" propagates those ACLs to everything inside."

Jan 26, 2016 12:52 PM in response to pinkapplemac

Correct. Your documents, downloads, movies, music, pictures, etc. are all stored in their respective folders in the Home folder all with your ownership permissions.

OS X, being essentially a Unix offshoot, can be puzzling if you've never had to deal with the complexities of the Unix OS. The windowing system you normally see in OS X is intended to hide all the Unix stuff behind a more friendly interface. Not much different from what Windows does except that Windows doesn't use Unix in the background, rather it uses MS-DOS. If you know Windows then you know OS X, essentially. The following links may help in the transition to OS X:

Mac 101- Mac essentials

Switch 101- On Windows, I used to...

Apple - Support - Switch 101

Apple - Support - Mac 101

Switch 101- Windows vs. Mac navigation

Jan 26, 2016 12:58 PM in response to pinkapplemac

That is an uninformed comment that is correct as it relates to system related folders such as the primary root Library folder, Users folder, Applications, and System folder.

Although the Home folder is created during the original OS X installation, if you check its permissions you will find that you are the owner.

The remarks about ACLs should be considered cautiously. Most things do not have ACLs unless they have been assigned custom permissions for some reason. However, one can reset all ACLs as follows:

Reset User Permissions and ACLs in OS X

Boot to the Recovery HD:

From the Utilities menu select Terminal. At the Terminal prompt enter: resetpassword. Press RETURN. When the window opens select your startup drive where it says "Select the volume containing the user account:" At the bottom of the window you will see, "Reset Home folder permissions and ACLs." Click on the Reset button.

Jan 26, 2016 1:12 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you kindly for the links!

Given the grave warnings other places on this site about that specific action (that I have spent the day looking for and just posted) I am a bit alarmed I'll say. That feature should be unavailable if it's harmful. 😟

And then she reads your next post! THANK YOU SO MUCH I CAN SLEEP NOW! Although I have a back up to my back up - and once the other issues are resolved, CLONING seems reasonable! Good googly moogly! Unless she starts hissing and smoking... le Mac can sit quietly and do her thing. Until she does something crazy again.

What a wonderful support site!

- H

"Apply to Enclosed Items" permissions HOME FOLDER

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.