Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan: You can't open the application 'app name' because it may be damaged or incomplete

Ran into this multiple times. After initially upgrading to El Capitan 10.11.2, after logging into my main (admin) account, I could not open any applications, and received the following error:

"You can't open the application 'app name' because it may be damaged or incomplete."

I could not open "Activity Monitor", "System Preferences", "Finder", or anything (either system provided, App Store, or other). The icons would revert to the default application icon. Other users had no problem with the same apps.

After freaking out, I found a solution: go to another admin account, delete the old user account, and re-add it. This fixes the problem for that user; it apparently rebuilds the user identity information for that user, while leaving their home folder (and preferences, documents, keychain, etc) alone. iCloud information has to be re-entered, but it's trivial. After the user delete and re-add, I was able to run those applications.

When I upgraded to 10.11.3, the same thing happened, but to 3 accounts. I was able to fix this via the Guest account - i.e. I was still able to authenticate as an admin, but I couldn't login and run anything.

El Capitan removed permissions repair; I believe it can be done at the recovery console, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Any idea why this keeps happening?

Searching for the above error message usually is specific to App Store applications or other applications, not to things like "Activity Monitor" and "System Preferences".

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 26, 2016 1:51 PM

47 replies

Oct 26, 2017 8:46 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hello,

I followed your instructions and it worked for me but now I can't delete one of the files that I moved to the Trash. I tried renaming the file with '-old' and I tried unlocking permissions for the file and it's subfolders. I've also tried starting in Safe Mode and emptying trash but I always get the same message that the file can't be deleted because the file is in use.

Any ideas on how I can delete these remaining old cache files? See screenshot for the file in the trash.

User uploaded file

Jan 12, 2018 2:01 AM in response to michelfromgenève

This just happen to me on OS X 10.13.2

I deleted the folders in /var/folders except zz and everything is back to normal. Thanks again Linc Davis.

In my case I couldn't delete the files from OS X because I was getting the error. "File is used by the system, It couldn't be deleted"

In order to fix this I deleted the files from recovery mode.

Steps to do this:

Put your Mac in recovery mode, here is how.

After you select the language, open Terminal.

Utilities -> Terminal

If your disk is not mounted in Volumes, use this tutorial

See what files you need to delete

cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/
ls private/var/folders/

Now you should see the specified folders that you want to backup then delete

Backup the files

cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/ReplaceWithYourUser/Downloads/
mkdir backup
cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/private/var/folders/  /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/ReplaceWithYourUser/Downloads/backup

Delete the folders

cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/private/var/folders/
ls
rm -rf cp
rm -rf dq
rm -rf gh
rm -rf k5
rm -rf sb
ls

Now you should see only the zz folder, if there is another one, just delete it.

That's it

Restart and login

Jan 9, 2017 4:07 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc! You are GREAT man. After 2 months fighting I've just repair my system disk with great difficulty recovered after a disk utility fixing it joined this partition with another one from second disk into one raid partition. I tried EasyRecovery without any success, and only r-studio with the subsequent interference diskwarrior allowed again to see the correct partition, although only on a single disk. But system was very slow and I could't run any application. I still have problem with right recovery of second disk with too partitions: one with Lion {now successfuly recovered], and second: with Mountain Lion. R-Studio allow me to see partition I'm looking for with right size, but when I try to make an image of it it's oversized and after dumping to a new disk - it's useless. I can recover more of my data, but not the whole system partition. Any idea?

And one more question. It seems, that only system applications in dock have default icons (brash and pencil in "A"shape symbol). Do you have any advice to resolve this problem?

Jan 10, 2017 1:32 PM in response to Eric Root

Unfortunately, the icons in the Applications folder are also default.I have this problem with:
App Store, Automator, Calculator, Calendar, Chess, Contacts, Dashboard, Dictionary, DVD Player, Face Time, Font Book, Game Center, Image Capture, Launchpad, Mail, Maps, Messages, Mission Control, Notes, Photo Booth, Photos, Preview, QuickTime Player, Reminders, Stickles, System Preferences, TextEdit, Time Machine,
and with Ulilities folder:
Activity Monitor,
Some of theme work (i.e. Preferences, Time Machine), some not (Gmail, Activity Monitor)

Feb 15, 2017 7:29 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, may I ask: what happens if that ”zz” folder is deleted? In fact, I deleted the entire ”folders” folder by mistake in order to fix a startup issue on my sister's computer and that solved it (after I manually created a ”folders” folder from another Mac with the problematic one connected via Target Disk Mode), but now after a couple of days of use she started to get this ”You can't open the applicaion…” error for every app.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Feb 27, 2017 10:32 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, thank you so very much for this. I just updated a machine here at work and had this very issue, on my account. Normally, I let our JAMF system do the updates, but there were a few pending and I was restarting for another reason anyway. Kind of embarrassing for the Mac administrator (me!) to be unable to access applications in his own account. Fortunately, there are several other admin accounts I could use to effect the fix.

Again, thanks!

Dec 23, 2017 1:16 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hello Linc,

This is Michel from Geneva, working on 10.13.2, MacbookPro. I've got the same issue for the 2nd time. Two months ago, I deleted my user account (from admin account), re-create it and the issue was resolved. Today, I'm unable to delete the user account. So, I followed the steps you've proposed but the different folders in : /var/folders can't be deleted ("fichiers utilisés par le système et ne peuvent être supprimés").

My two questions are :

1. Is your answer (01.26. 2016) still up to date with High Sierra ?

2. How could I delete these folders ?

Thanks for your help,

Michel

Mar 13, 2018 6:20 AM in response to schpanky

I just had the same problem in the 10.13.3 beta. The /var/folders trick cleared it up. This is an awfully hottible bug to be shipping out to users. Why doesn't the Finder or some other system service have a fallback somewhere to clear those cache directories in this sort of situation?

I've never run into something so horrifying and seemingly random on an otherwise reliable machine.

Apr 5, 2018 11:08 AM in response to frasiatthebeach

Wow, this is the only thing that has worked for me so far.

I am running El Capitan on a MacMini (Late 2012). This moring I finished installing the security update 2018-002 (as 001 failed to install everytime due to file not recognised or something like that. Really frustrating and could not find a way to make it work). After the update, the mac was extremely slow and I was not even able to watch any of my apps icons (only the standard app icon) and not even able to start the terminal from my normal boot up, as every time I've received the same message "you can't open the application 'terminal' because it may be damaged or incomplete'.

So, after testing this solution, it was all fixed. Thanks a million!!

Apr 25, 2018 5:51 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you, Linc Davis, for a good solution.

Actually, I had to open folder by folder and delete file by file once the system was preventing me to delete the subfolders, just because of system using or something, and even that way, some files was just unable to be deleted, and I just let them there... But after delete everything I could and empty the Trash, everything worked fine after a old and good restart.

Thank you once again.

El Capitan: You can't open the application 'app name' because it may be damaged or incomplete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.