Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where did my photo files/thumbnails go?

I was going to do a clean install of Yosemite on my Mid-2012 MacBook Pro, so I decided to is my Touro 1TB external drive to back up my computer via time machine.

The process finished and I went ahead and deleted things I no longer needed before reinstalling a fresh copy of the OS. This was on the 21st. Today, the 26th of January, I was trying to get into my iPhoto library (which I transferred over to my external drive), but when it starts to rebuild the thumbnails, the progress bar goes to just under half way and then "completes" itself. I have photos on my MBP dating back to December 2011 that show up (thumbnails and all), but for August 24th, 2014 and then from September 19th, 2014 up to present day, there are no thumbnails of any photos, and when I click on any "blank" photo, a picture appears that looks like a warning sign with an exclamation mark in the middle. This is the case for all photos on August 24th and then from September 19th to present day.

I have tried iPhotos internal fix, of rebuilding the database, thumbnails and library, but the problem still persists. I have also downloaded iPhoto Library Manager, and the problem is still there.

I have not tampered with the backup on my drive, but I cannot get my photos back. I have also tried to restore my computer via Time Machine, but it says the drive cannot be read (although I am completely able to access the drive).

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), iPhoto 9.6.1

Posted on Jan 26, 2016 2:41 PM

4 replies

Jan 26, 2016 3:29 PM in response to lookitsross

On the surface it sounds like you did not make a good, complete backup - how did you restore the library that is having problems?

To restore anything from a TimeMachine backup you use TimeMachine, select the item to be restored (the iPhoto library in this case) and click restore -- Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support - http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

Where is the iPHoto library you are trying to open located? If on an external hard drive what format is it?

LN

Jan 26, 2016 4:07 PM in response to LarryHN

I believe I am at the point where I just want to forget about the 2,000 or so photos that have disappeared and move on.

I have backed up my SSD in the past using this external drive, but have never needed to restore anything. I am currently in the process of creating another backup to get things such as my iTunes music and (what is left of) my iPhoto library. When that is completed, I will just perform the clean install and move on.

If there are any other suggestions on how I can go about getting these photos back (the files appear to still be in the iPhoto library, but as mentioned previously, when I click on one, the warning sign pops up.

I currently have the partial library on my internal SSD, and the other partial library (I believe they are both partial as Time Machine probably did not do a complete back up) on my external HDD.

Jan 29, 2016 6:48 AM in response to clodo9

You write " . I am currently in the process of creating another backup to get things such as my iTunes music and (what is left of) my iPhoto library. When that is completed, I will just perform the clean install and move on ".

Will you be using the same EHD ? There could still be retrievable stuff on it...

Clear up this format question before the "clean install"...

Your EHD must be formatted " Mac OS Extended ( journaled ) ".

You can format it using "Disk Utility " ( click "Applications" in the Dock, then "Utilities", then "Disk Utility"

I'd suggest buying a new EHD, keeping the old one until it is clear that nothing can be salvaged from the first ( if important fotos are on it )

Where did my photo files/thumbnails go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.