Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari search field not working since 10.11.3 update

Hi, I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015 and a MacBookPro (15-inch, Early 2011) and just updated to 10.11.3 and on both Macs, that search field is not working, even after switching the search engine in Preferences. Any ideas how to fix it? Or I'm consigned to making the switch to Chrome which is working.

Thanks!

Simon

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 1:26 AM

I got exactly the same issue after installing the 10.11.3 upgrade on my Macbook Pro Retina mid 2015.

Any help? Thanks!

18 replies

Jan 27, 2016 1:54 AM in response to Simes2000

Im having the same problem too. Really frustrating, i found a ahort term fix around it, you private browsing. Strangely the exact same issue happened with my recent update on the iPhone 6. There are a lot of people having the issue with the iPhone, but this is the only forum I can find for MacBook.

UPDATE:

Similar to the bug on the iPhones, there is another short term solution - Safari>Preferences>Search>UNCLICK "include Safari Suggestions". This should allow you to use the search bar, it's not ideal, but it does the job until a proper solution has been created.

Jan 27, 2016 1:58 AM in response to Simes2000

I am having the same issue after updating except a couple more which is making safari unusable!!

- safari search field not working

- safari search field creating gibberish

- worst problem of all, when opening new tab in normal browsing Safari crashes. Strange thing is that it doesn't do this when private browsing.

Have tried to clear all history, extensions, plugins, safe reset etc and still driving me mad. Have turned to Firefox and Chrome for the time being.

Jan 27, 2016 2:00 AM in response to Froll33

Thanks!!

I first saw your Private Browsing fix and then noticed your Include Safari Suggestions fix. I don't we are really missing out on much with Safari Suggestions as the Google suggestions still work fine with this turned off.

Still, this is a major bug and renders Safari completely unusable without this workaround. It is not just search that stops working, I couldn't even put in web addresses after the first time. I was thinking I would have to move to Chrome but I saw this workaround (using the Chrome browser). How could something like this slip through. It must be a basic sanity test. Does the address bar in the browser work? No. Don't release the update.

Jan 27, 2016 2:00 AM in response to Simes2000

Same here, on both my iMac 2008 and Macbook 2009 after installing the 10.11.3 update, the search bar doesn't work

once a page is loaded, the address in the address bar becomes unelectable or sometimes 2 addresses appear on top of each other, like on this capture :

User uploaded file

also have problems opening new tabs, when clicking the "+" sign to open a new tab nothing happens, have to close safari and re-open

Jan 27, 2016 7:03 AM in response to Simes2000

Hi,

I just got this problem today.

I found a fix that works for me without having to disable the 'include' option on the 'search' preferences. Just clear ALL the browsing history (it does not work if you clear less). On clearing 'all history' Safari went into a loop (stopped communicating) and I had to use Force Quit. On restarting Safari everything returned to normal.

Looks like the problem is created by something corrupting the browser history records.

Safari search field not working since 10.11.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.