Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blind Presenter: Apply Font size to All Slides

Hello all!

Keynote is one awesome tool for blind people to create presentations; it works very nicely with Apple's own screenreader, VoiceOver.

I have a few questions to you guys; your answers will make my workflow so much more efficient.

(1.) I know, the minimum font size one should use is 30. How many characters will fit in a line?

(2.) I have copied text from a text document into a slide; of course, the font and size are not the same. Can I make sure all fonts and sizes stay the same throughout the presentation?

(3.) I have a 5x5 table with numbers on one slide. I was told by sbd. who could read but not edit Keynote documents (with Open Office) that the table is legible but could be much, much bigger. Is there a way to auto-align a table so it fills the slide?

any ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks & Regards, Markus

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 1:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 8:05 AM

I regularly create educational materials for learners with visual impairment through the use of sound recordings.

I can't imagine the challenge for blind people creating material with Keynote. I hope the following remarks are helpful as a starting point if nothing else.

I know, the minimum font size one should use is 30.

Actually the font size must be determined by the end product, who the viewers are and the environment where the presentation takes place. Text at 30 point shown in a lecture room is far too small to be legible, 30 point may be suitable when sitting at a display 2 feet away.

How many characters will fit in a line?

This again must be determined by the end product and not how many characters can be shown. What is actually important, is the number of words on a slide, not the number ofcharacters.

The number of words that are easy to read on a projector screen in a small training room will be different to the number of words that are easy to read in a web browser on a computer display.

The accepted rule for text created by professional designers in Broadcast Television and for projected presentations is a maximum of five words per line and 6 lines per page, a maximum of 30 words per slide. For example, in Europe there are legal requirements placed on television broadcasters for viewers to read text easily.

I have copied text from a text document into a slide; of course, the font and size are not the same. Can I make sure all fonts and sizes stay the same throughout the presentation?

Use Paste and Match Style from the Edit menu, the keyboard command is shift option command V

the table is legible but could be much, much bigger. Is there a way to auto-align a table so it fills the slide?

Select the table then increase the font size to the required amount.

I am happy to answer questions about my reply.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2016 8:05 AM in response to BlindGuitardian

I regularly create educational materials for learners with visual impairment through the use of sound recordings.

I can't imagine the challenge for blind people creating material with Keynote. I hope the following remarks are helpful as a starting point if nothing else.

I know, the minimum font size one should use is 30.

Actually the font size must be determined by the end product, who the viewers are and the environment where the presentation takes place. Text at 30 point shown in a lecture room is far too small to be legible, 30 point may be suitable when sitting at a display 2 feet away.

How many characters will fit in a line?

This again must be determined by the end product and not how many characters can be shown. What is actually important, is the number of words on a slide, not the number ofcharacters.

The number of words that are easy to read on a projector screen in a small training room will be different to the number of words that are easy to read in a web browser on a computer display.

The accepted rule for text created by professional designers in Broadcast Television and for projected presentations is a maximum of five words per line and 6 lines per page, a maximum of 30 words per slide. For example, in Europe there are legal requirements placed on television broadcasters for viewers to read text easily.

I have copied text from a text document into a slide; of course, the font and size are not the same. Can I make sure all fonts and sizes stay the same throughout the presentation?

Use Paste and Match Style from the Edit menu, the keyboard command is shift option command V

the table is legible but could be much, much bigger. Is there a way to auto-align a table so it fills the slide?

Select the table then increase the font size to the required amount.

I am happy to answer questions about my reply.

Jan 27, 2016 8:15 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Hi Gary and many thanks for your insights. I mostly give workshops in front of max. 50 people, i.e. small seminar rooms. Would an average 36 pt size work as a rule?

Thanks for looking up the keyboard shortcut for paste and match style. Just for my understanding: I do this while the text I want to copy is in the clipboard, right? I have finished my presentation and just want to match up the style.

I had heard a 6-6 rule for words and lines. I am mostly below the 6 anyway.

I asked about characters per line because, let's say, the term "mutual intelligibility" is only 2 words but a lot of characters. that's why I asked how many characters fit in a line at, e.g. 36 pt.

thanks so much. your remarks got me a good bit further towards my good presentation. 🙂

Feb 9, 2016 5:35 AM in response to BlindGuitardian

I mostly give workshops in front of max. 50 people, i.e. small seminar rooms. Would an average 36 pt size work as a rule?

No Im afraid not, the minimum size for 50 people would be 80 point.

A legibility test consists of viewing the screen at the maximum distance a viewer would be placed. In the situation of fifty people, the arrangement would be in five rows of ten people and viewing from the back row requires 80 point text as a minimum.

Yes, using the paste and match style is pasted from the clipboard.

I asked about characters per line because

Legibility of text is assessed by the number of words on screen and not by characters. This is because when people read, the eye scans words, not individual characters.

Good luck with your presentations, feel free to post any further questions you have.

Feb 9, 2016 5:38 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Hi Gary, and many thanks for your response. I only saw your comment on font size 80 after my presentation. It took place in an average-sized classroom in front of just over 30 people. I asked whether my 36pt text was legible from the back and was confirmed that it was. I'll still go a bit bigger next time.

Thanks for all your helpful advice. I know where to go the next time I'm stuck in Keynoteland. 🙂

Best, Markus

Blind Presenter: Apply Font size to All Slides

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.