Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone contacts

Hi,

The total number of contacts on my iPhone, Macbook Contacts and iCloud contacts is different. How can I sync all of these? Thanks.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 4:10 AM

6 replies

Jan 28, 2016 7:52 AM in response to LavinaL

Hi, LavinaL.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I understand that the contact count is off on various devices that use iCloud. If you have made sure that the missing contacts are not present in another over-the-air personal information manager similar to iCloud, take a look at the troubleshooting information in the article below.

Check your default Contacts account

Check whether your device is set up to show iCloud contacts:

1. Open Contacts and tap Groups in the upper-left corner.
  2. Make sure All iCloud is selected.

If you store and edit your contacts using your iCloud account instead of a third-party account, like Google or Yahoo, iCloud will automatically update your contacts. Check whether your contact is stored with iCloud:

1. Open Contacts and tap Groups in the upper-left corner.
  2. Deselect the All [account] option for any third-party account, like Gmail or Yahoo.
  3. Make sure All iCloud is selected.
  4. Tap Done to see your list of Contacts. If you don't see the contact you're looking for, it's stored in another account.
  5. You can import the contact from a third-party service into iCloud.

If your device uses multiple accounts like iCloud, Gmail, and Yahoo, make sure that iCloud is your default Contacts account:

1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  2. In the Contacts section, tap Default Account.
  3. Make sure iCloud is selected.

Get help using iCloud Contacts

Cheers

Feb 1, 2016 11:27 PM in response to jason269

I can see File, Contact, New Group - does that work? Also I have backed up and sync my iPhone through iTunes as the normal iCloud back up is not working but I seem to be having trouble with the Contacts. Since I have various international numbers every time I sync my phone the +and code disappears so I am not able to use whatsapp unless I go back into Contacts and add the + and area code. Where do I need to modify the contacts (MacBook or iPhone) so that the Contact list and numbers stays the same? Thanks.

Feb 1, 2016 11:35 PM in response to jason269

If your device uses multiple accounts like iCloud, Gmail, and Yahoo, make sure that iCloud is your default Contacts account:

1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  2. In the Contacts section, tap Default Account.
  3. Make sure iCloud is selected.

Do you mean go to my iPhone and in Settings, iCloud and have Mail, Contacts and Calendar with the sliding button in green on my iPhone?? Thanks.

iPhone contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.