Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

anyone using nik collection with el capitan?

I use the Nik Collection plugins all the time, with Aperture on my mid-2009 MBP (running 10.9.5).

Can anyone tell me if they are still working perfectly with El Capitan?

The Nik Collection support team says the plugins are not yet compatible, and they have been working on an update since last October. That sounds clear enough - but at the same time, they say many people are using the plugins with 10.11 with complete success. They emailed me saying, 'Try it for yourself and see if it works for you too. You can let us know if you have any problems'.

I'd rather not upgrade the OSX only to discover that the plugins are indeed incompatible. Anyone got any feedback on their own experience with Nik and 10.11?

I've checked several times on Roaring Apps for Nik compatibility reports, and there's still no data.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 4:21 AM

11 replies

Jan 29, 2016 12:30 AM in response to almrguy

I'm interested in finding out if anyone is using the Nik Collection with Aperture + El Capitan. Nik says they are incompatible, and they are still working on an update to fix it - but that 'many people find they work'. You say it doesn't work for you - which is useful to know - but then add 'go to Nik...for updates' which is clearly not at all helpful, given the basis of the question. Maybe you not able to give any feedback on what happens when you try to use them, because you don't use them yourself?

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has experience in what happens when you update to 10.11.x and try to use the Nik Collection with Aperture.

Jan 29, 2016 7:09 PM in response to citroenDS

WHen I upgraded to El Capitan Nik did not work with Aperture. I contacted Nik support and was told that an upgraded version would work with Photoshop, but NOT with Aperture. So I got the free upgrade and have been using it with PS. When cDS asked me what happens with Aperture, I could not remember what problem happened on trying to use with Aperture. So in order to try and help I decided to try and open Nik from Aperture. Behold! The plugins now work with Aperture. Thus I suggested to cDS that he contact NIK suooprt. I now reply in spite of cDS's ungracious reply.

Jan 30, 2016 8:45 AM in response to almrguy

I'm sorry if you think i was ungracious. I think if you read it again, you will see that I was simply stating the obvious. Thanks anyway for coming back with some information, which is helpful.

Unfortunately, in wanting to say thank you, I clicked on your unhelpful reply by mistake - which is really going to confuse people who have the same question as me!

Feb 2, 2016 10:38 PM in response to citroenDS

Hello,

I had no problems with 10.11.2 but with 10.11.3. I contacted NIK Support and loaded latest update via the link they sent me. This made it worse. Screen flickered when I tried to load a plugin and the system ran at full steam, Aperture hang. I contacted the support again and sent them console logs. They responded within a day and stated that NIK Software relies heavily on Arial fonts. I got instructions to clean Arial from my system and to load Arial fonts from their servers for using those instead.

I went into Font Book and found that I had deactivated some Arial fonts. Ok, I activated them again and bingo. NIK Plugins seem to work now, but the screen flickers when it loads an image. And some recipe thumbnails show artifacts. Exported images are fine.

I will replace Arial with Googles version and clean the font cache as they advised me.

Hope this helps.

Feb 4, 2016 3:00 AM in response to leicanerd

Thanks very much for the feedback leicanerd.

It does help to know what things are working. It doesn't sound like it's a very stable set up for you though. From the replies so far it seems the plugins may work for some, and not for others. Everything works perfectly in my existing set up (Nik with Aperture, on Mavericks) and I am reluctant to undermine that stability by upgrading. I'm not very optimistic about the Nik/Google team coming up with a solution either - a fully compatible update - especially when the first beta of El Capitan was made available to developers back in June last year. That's a long time for any company to spend coming up with a version that works reliably.

Mar 20, 2016 11:07 PM in response to citroenDS

I just found out the hard way that Nik is not working with El Capitan. I have had multiple issues in PS the last couple of days after I updated to El Capitan. Finally after hours upon hours on the Adobe forums I traced all my PS problems back to Nik Collections. I sent Nik a email. Hopefully they have a update that works:-) I think Yosemite is a better OS.

anyone using nik collection with el capitan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.