Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

touch Id not working

MY friend has an iPhone 5 and since upgrading to IOS 9.2.1, her Touch ID is not working and she can't reset it

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 5:12 AM

Assuming you're talking about the iPhone 5s, follow these steps.

Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on this device.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

If this does not help, restore your device to factory settings. Note that this will erase the data from your device.

Take a look this Apple Support article: Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support.

As a final step, try the recovery mode. Turn your device off, then plug it to your computer with the home button pressed. Keep the Home button pressed until you see the iTunes logo on the screen of your device. After that on your computer you should see the iTunes window saying your device needs to be restored to factory settings. Click on the restore button.

More info here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

If these steps don't work, contact Apple and ask for help. This may be a hardware issue.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/contact/

FYI, iPhone 5 is not equipped with a fingerprint scanner.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2016 5:12 AM in response to SusiBtt

Assuming you're talking about the iPhone 5s, follow these steps.

Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on this device.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

If this does not help, restore your device to factory settings. Note that this will erase the data from your device.

Take a look this Apple Support article: Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support.

As a final step, try the recovery mode. Turn your device off, then plug it to your computer with the home button pressed. Keep the Home button pressed until you see the iTunes logo on the screen of your device. After that on your computer you should see the iTunes window saying your device needs to be restored to factory settings. Click on the restore button.

More info here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

If these steps don't work, contact Apple and ask for help. This may be a hardware issue.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/contact/

FYI, iPhone 5 is not equipped with a fingerprint scanner.

Feb 23, 2016 10:39 AM in response to Nealf

If you restored your device to factory and tested the Touch ID and it would not configure at that point, then I would suspect hardware. Remember, if you restore to factory, that deletes everything, which means you would need to reconfigure Touch ID and add fingerprints all over. Test like that. If fingerprints will not add, and Touch ID will not work, then make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple Store and have it examined.

Feb 23, 2016 11:02 AM in response to Nealf

There is no problem with iOS 9.2.1, which is what I believe you are referring to, since you are referring to the iPhone 6s Plu. My 6s, as well as another one here works fine, as well as my son's iPhone 6s Plus. Many others do as well. Your issue, if in the iOS as you suspect, would be corrected with a restore to factory, as it would install a fresh version of the iOS. There is no permanent problem with the iOS. If you restore and it does not work, as I told you before, then the issue is hardware.

Feb 23, 2016 2:03 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I don’t mean to be rude, but your advice is wrong. The iOS version 9.2.1 is build13D20, the one that contains the Error 53 fix, and should not be installed on a phone that does not have a 3rd party TouchID button.

How Apple mucked this up and sent the update to my iTunes is beyond me. I never replaced my TouchID button.

I want to reinstall the previous iOS 9.2.1 build 13D15? That is, the previous build without TouchID disabled.

Feb 23, 2016 2:08 PM in response to Nealf

If it is necessary for your device to have the new build, it will be installed. Your issue has nothing to do with the Error 53. You describe your issue as a Touch ID problem. I provided you with the troubleshooting steps to handle the Touch ID issue. The iOS update has nothing to do with it. Your device should work just fine with either version of iOS 9.2.1. You will not be able to access the older version of iOS 9.2.1. If you are still having issues with your Touch ID and refuse to troubleshoot the device yourself, then make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple Store and have them handle it for you.

From this support document about the iOS update: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205628

If Touch ID on your device didn't work before you saw error 53, the feature still won't work after you restore your device. Contact Apple Support to ask about service options for Touch ID.

Feb 23, 2016 2:33 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris, your first statement is patently wrong. It was not necessary for my iPhone to have the new build. I did not have Error 53 and did not have a replacement TouchID button.

I cannot prove causation only association with the iOS build, but you cannot know for certain the problem is hardware either. Error 53 was not supposed to happen either, and enough people replaced their iPhones needlessly due to Error 53 that a class action lawsuit was filed.

I have done all the troubleshooting steps available short of replacing the phone. However, I believe it is the software that is preventing TouchID from being activated.

Feb 23, 2016 2:36 PM in response to Nealf

Look, I have an iPhone 6s and have never had any work done on it either. The iOS update was to ensure that Error 53 would not occur on your device if you did anything to it. You didn't, so you have nothing to worry about, but that is the latest iOS, so that is what is going to download to your device.

If you have done all of the troubleshooting steps, then you restored the device to factory and tested as I asked you. You never acknowledged that. If you did not restore your device to factory, then you have not done all of the steps.

You can say what I said is wrong, but it isn't. I just tested my device in iTunes and I wants to download the latest iOS as well, so it goes to all devices that will support iOS 9.2.1. If you restored the device to factory and were not able to set up Touch ID, then you need to see Apple. You can believe it is the software if you like, but your troubleshooting, if done as I instructed, has indicated otherwise. The software would not prevent Touch ID from working.

Feb 23, 2016 3:17 PM in response to Nealf

Nealf wrote:

Oops! I meant 9.2.1

Okay, here’s the bottom line whether you like it or not. You cannot downgrade to a previous version of iOS. You say your TouchID stopped working after applying the iOS 9.2.1 Build 13D20 update offered to you via iTunes. Your only option now is to take it in for service. You have no other choice left.

touch Id not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.