Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod 5th generation and iTunes

I still have an Ipod Classic 5th generation that works perfectly and holds its charge - but it won't sync to iTunes. I have tried different cables and different hardware but no joy. I took in to some repair place and they said it is too old to talk to iTunes. Is this right? Is there any way around it? Thanks.

iPod classic, Other OS

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 5:40 AM

16 replies

Jan 27, 2016 6:52 AM in response to Liz Wyman

I have a 5th gen "video" iPod, and it works fine with the latest iTunes.

but it won't sync to iTunes.

Does that mean it does not appear in iTunes at all, or that it does appear in iTunes but you can't get it to sync?

Also, watch the iPod's screen when you connect it. Does it say "Do not disconnect"? Or does it just show the battery charging symbol? Or does it not react at all to being connected?

Do you use a Mac or Windows PC? If Windows, what version?

Jan 27, 2016 7:12 AM in response to Liz Wyman

I don't think it's Windows 95. 😉 You wouldn't be able to run any recent version of iTunes... It may be Window XP, if it's "old." Found this

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/which-operating-system

Knowing the version of Windows may be relevant in finding the solution. The Do not disconnect on iPod's screen is good news. That means the iPod is acknowledging being connected to the computer, which makes the problem more solvable, compared to a hardware problem.

If it does not work on two computer (and one was a Mac) and with more than one docking cable, the cause may be on the iPod side of the connection. Putting it into Disk Mode as tt2 suggested would be a good test.

Feb 4, 2016 12:53 AM in response to Liz Wyman

That suggests a possible issue with the cable. It may be OK for charging, and the device might display the "Do not disconnect" warning but perhaps no real connection is established. It should work in disk mode even whether or not Apple's iPod driver gets loaded. Try a new or known good cable. Check for fluff in the docking port. If found tease out gently with a thin sliver of card or plastic.

tt2

Feb 4, 2016 4:41 AM in response to Liz Wyman

"Do not disconnect" on the iPod's screen good. It's also good that you briefly did see it in iTunes. I think the data connection is working, and the iPod is probably OK, but there is a software issue on the computer.

As a test, shut down the computer and disconnect all USB devices. You can leave standard USB keyboard and mouse connected, if used. Do this to Reset (restart the iPod)

Learn how to reset your iPod - Apple Support

Start up computer, run iTunes, and connect iPod to a direct USB port on the computer by itself. Is there any difference?

If that does not help, I would try reinstalling iTunes by downloading the latest version here

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Your iTunes data is not affected by reinstalling iTunes, but you should have a backup (which is good advice whether you are reinstalling or not).

Ipod 5th generation and iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.