Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro dark screen and cursor at startup

My Mac Pro won't startup. It begins Startup but stalls on a black screen. None of the fixes recommended work (I've tried them ALL). What I finally figured out is El Capitan doesn't like more than one monitor (I have three). When I unplug two monitors, it starts up fine. Yosemite worked fine with three screens, ElCapitan started fine if I unplugged one of the thee monitors. The latest version requires me to unplug two monitors so it can start up.

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 9:43 AM

31 replies

Jan 27, 2016 12:14 PM in response to lllaass

Illaass,

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

• OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.3
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • Processor 3.7 GHz Quad- Corc Intel Xeon ES Memory 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
  • Graphics AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB (came with Mac from Apple) I don't know if the require additional drivers, they worked fine with Yosemite
  • Two monitors are connected directly to Thunderbolt ports (with adapters), one is connected with HDMI

Jan 27, 2016 12:38 PM in response to lllaass

I bought the adapters from Apple (see pic attached)

All monitors are just regular resolution

My main monitor is a Viewsonic VX2770 SERIES Display (27") and is connected to the HDMI port

My second monitor is a Cintiq 22HD Display Connected to TB port 3

My third monitor is a Viewsonic VA902b 19" Display Connected to port 1

User uploaded file

Jan 29, 2016 6:29 AM in response to xeffer

Do you mean sleep - wake -- if so and you allow the mac to wake up -- including going out to the internet to check for updates or email -- it may be that El Capitan is killing the software for your monitors - because they are not being used and it needs the cpu.

If shutting down and powering up it should recognize all of them.

You may want to set-up a support call with Apple referencing this thread 7439316 -- fill the form out rather than calling as that gives them time to research the problem.

Jan 30, 2016 10:40 AM in response to xeffer

xeffer wrote:

Sleeping seems to be no problem, It's just when I start up that I have to disconnect my monitors.

Before you power up the box - if your monitors have their own power - let them power up before you press the power button on your system (maybe 15 seconds would be enough).

Another thing to check - warm up time for your monitors -- have seen blurbs in the past that some of them needed time to warm up-not instant on.

Mac Pro dark screen and cursor at startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.