Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Unit Extension (iSEM) installed but not showing up on instrument carousel in Garageband iOS

I can't get the Audio Unit Extension Touch instrument option to show up in the Carousel when selecting an instrument in Garagaband iOS.

Here's my set up:

iPad Mini 16GB WiFi (original: A1455)

iOS 9.2

Garageband 2.1

Arturia iSEM 1.2 (latest version that includes AU Extension)

Guessing this is a platform/hardware limitation? Perhaps later hardware is needed for both LiveLoops and AU Extensions..

Thanks,

Marcus

iPad Mini, iOS 9.2, Garageband iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 10:24 AM

6 replies

Jan 27, 2016 1:48 PM in response to iMarcP

you'd see I'm not asking about Live Loops.

I was not sure about this, because you mentioned them in your last sentence, I thought you wanted to know about them as well.

It is not very clear from Apple's inconsistent announcements about the hardware requirements what will work on which devices. The Music Memo app was released the same day as the new GarageBand versions and both are listed with the same hardware requirements, but the AppStore is listing different requirements than the AppStore. The only thing that is clear is that not all new features of GarageBAnd are supported on all hardware platforms.

Arturia is claiming compatibility with iPad 2 in the App Store requirements, but the press release i found quoted is rather vague and only says "latest-generation iPads,".

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/arturias-isem-synth-app-now-runs-as-an-audio -unit-on-your-ipad-630909

"By using Audio Unit Extensions-compatible apps like iSEM, GarageBand users can extend its sonic capabilities above and beyond those of the built-in instruments into the wonderful world of Arturia. Indeed, it appears that we are one of the first - if not the first - to support this.

"iSEM users can now easily record and multitrack their iSEM-based creations within GarageBand, adding drums, voice, guitar, and other sounds to make more complete musical arrangements, if they so wish. It's also perfectly possible to have multiple instances of iSEM running in GarageBand - at least three or four when using latest-generation iPads, which was impossible with the previous 'standalone' version of iSEM."

This level of integration is precisely what a lot of iOS musicians have been crying out for, and we look forward to testing it for ourselves.

The footnotes I quoted were meant to indicate the possible hardware limitations that Apple has documented. A part of the new capabilities for GarageBand have been build for the 3D sensor and others for the faster processores.

Feb 1, 2016 6:12 PM in response to léonie

Thanks Leonie- I didn't see this reply until now.

I can't seem to find any info on whether this should work on older iPad hardware. Seems to me that the ability to use AU extensions is tied to the ability to use the Live Loops feature, as the UI I see in the carousel is different- you can see the Live Loops selector at the top, and the AU extension shows up.

In mine, neither is present. Guess I need to pony up for a new iPad if I want to use these new features 😟

Mar 9, 2016 12:01 PM in response to fitzloosely

OK, so I solved my own problem. Well, not really, the problem is, I'm stupid and that hasn't changed.

iSpark is not an Audio Units extension. Arturia's other app, iSEM, is. It seems I got the two apps confused (I'm really old. It happens). When I downloaded iSEM the audio units icon appeared in the instrument browser. It doesn't appear unless you have an app that supports Audio Unit Extensions. Logical, really. So I feel a little intellectually challenged.

Face palm.

Audio Unit Extension (iSEM) installed but not showing up on instrument carousel in Garageband iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.