Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari issue after El Capitan 10.11.3 update

Hello guys! After the 10.11.3 El Capitan uptae I have a problem with Facebook on Safari. It continous updating my news feed and i can't stop it. What can I do?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 11:38 AM

5 replies

Jan 28, 2016 11:47 AM in response to Mihnea Platon

Greetings Mihnea Platon,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that Facebook is not responding as expected while using Safari on your Mac. To begin troubleshooting, I would first suggest clearing the caches and history in Safari.

To clear the cache, cookies, and other data being stored on your computer from Facebook, please follow through the steps below:

1. Choose Safari > Preferences.
  2. Click the Privacy icon.
  3. Click the Details button.
  4. Search for the name or domain of the website whose data you want to remove.
  5. In the results list, click the domain (like example.com) that has data you want to remove.
  6. Click Remove.
  7. When you're finished, click Done and close the preferences window.

User uploaded file

If Safari doesn‘t load a page or webpage items are missing

Once clearing the caches and cookies, please follow through the steps in the support article linked below to clear the Safari browsing history.

Safari 9 (El Capitan): Clear your browsing history

Then quit Safari, and relaunch it, finally testing Facebook to see if the issue persists.

Have a great day!

Jan 28, 2016 1:26 PM in response to Mihnea Platon

Hello Mihnea Platon,

Thanks for replying with this information. The next step I would suggest is disabling all Safari extensions. After you disable, test Facebook. If it is working again as expected, start turning them on one by one and see if you can isolate the extension that may be causing the issue.

Turn off Safari Extensions

You can turn off Safari Extensions to learn whether any are causing the issue.

1. From the Safari menu, choose Preferences.
  2. Click the Extensions icon, then select an extension from the list.
  3. Deselect the Enable checkbox to turn off that extension.

If turning off an extension resolves the issue, check for extension updates by clicking Updates in the lower-left corner of the window. Or remove the extension by clicking the Uninstall button.

User uploaded file

If Safari is slow, stops responding, quits unexpectedly, or has other issues - Apple Support

Cheers!

Jan 29, 2016 6:14 AM in response to Mihnea Platon

Try another browser as a test.

Firefox

If Facebook behaves as expected using Firefox try the below.

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan.

Safari issue after El Capitan 10.11.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.