Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove movie from MAC keep on iCloud

Movies downloaded from iTunes is taking a ton of space on my Hard Drive.

User uploaded file

Is there a way to remove them from iTunes yet retain them on the cloud? Today Movies purchased directly from my Apple TV do not download automatically and that is nice to still keep hard drive space on my MAC. They just have the cloud icon on the bottom that will allow me to download if I wanted to.

User uploaded file

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 12:01 PM

5 replies

Feb 4, 2016 9:50 AM in response to Pallan

No, you cannot configure iTunes to automatically store music in one place and movies in another. You can manually manage it that way by copying the movie file to an external drive then hold down the option key while dragging it back to an iTunes window. I have always thought it would make sense to set up a separate iTunes library for movies on an external drive.

Feb 4, 2016 9:43 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

rockmyplimsoul wrote:

One can temporarily change the default file location in iTunes Preferences to be on an external drive, download the movie, then change Preferences back.

Another option is to download the movie to the Mac, but then do a "selective consolidation" to move it to the external drive, then go back and delete the copy left on the Mac.

This method is more involved, but either way the Mac can play the movie from the external when connected, and when it is disconnected the movie entry in the iTunes library will remain.

Remove movie from MAC keep on iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.