Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my Photo slideshow will not allow me to select iTunes album/songs ... help!

In new Photos slideshow when desiring to use my own music, some of my iTunes library is displayed but I cannot select a single song because they are greyed out. It worked in iPhoto two years ago. I need music for presentations. Ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 3:11 PM

Do you have iTunes Match enabled?

User uploaded file

4 replies

Jan 28, 2016 10:38 AM in response to Marcia118

No. Does it work if I have ITunes Match?

Yes and no.

My music is working in slideshows with iTunes Match very well, but the songs need to be stored locally on your Mac.

So, before you add a song to your slideshow, select it in iTunes Match and check, if the song needs downloading from iCloud.

List your songs in the song list and make sure that the column "ICloud Download" has been enabled.

Which symbol is shown in the column "iCloud Download" for the songs you want to use? If you are seeing a cloud with a download arrow click this to download a copy of the song to your Mac. Then you should be able to use this song in your slideshow.

User uploaded file

These songs need downloading, before you can use them:

User uploaded file

Some songs may be unable to be used at all:

If the cloud icon is showing a dashed "marching ants" outline, the song is currently waiting to be processed and cannot be used. If you need it desperately, restore a different copy from your backup.

User uploaded file

Music with digital rights management attached cannot be used at all. If you are having songs in your iTunes Library that are showing "Protected AAC audio file" in the "Kind" field of the Info panel, you cannot use them at all.

Apple software will not let you convert protected songs to a format that will remove the protection.

User uploaded file

I had the same problem with Apple Music. Apple Music is also protected.

my Photo slideshow will not allow me to select iTunes album/songs ... help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.