Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Publish time parameter to FCP

Is there a way that I can create a Motion template that has text appear at a variable time? I'm hoping to create a template that will have Bullet Points appear when the speaker talks to them. I'm aware of the free bullet point template that is floating around but I need something that will allow me to postpone the 'reveal' of the text until it is addressed. Publishing time parameters does not seem to work when published to FCP. Would it involve rigging or maybe an opacity change at a given time?

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 2:09 PM

4 replies

Jan 30, 2016 2:22 AM in response to Cottonline

If you're talking about giving a live presentation, then you would have to run it from FCPX in real time (playback in an external monitor is not supported at full screen in Motion). In Motion you would animate "segments" with small pauses in the action. In FCPX you would apply the generator (or title) to the storyline and set markers at the pause points. As your speaker progresses, they can click the play button until it progresses to the next marker and pause the presentation.

Personally, I would build the template so that it builds one bullet point and stops (although several lines at once would still be possible). The template would have a positioning onscreen control. I would set up the animation with a build in mandatory marker. That way I could stretch out the title effect in FCPX for as long as it was needed in time. For multiple bullet points, I would layer on subsequent lines and position to match layout. The project might not look all that pretty, but it would give you the most flexibility particularly if the presentation is "running video." The text would be editable in FCPX, so you'd only have to built one bullet point template and add the needed text in FCPX for each instance you would need.

Jan 30, 2016 4:58 AM in response to Cottonline

here's another from Karsten's Box Of Sily Workarounds: 😉

create a title-plugin which is as long as your longest clip you like to apply the bullet points

design it…

then, locate all bullet-points outside the canvas:

User uploaded file

publish the Y-position of each point

(or create a Rig, which switches btw PosOut and PosIn)

those Y-Parameters can be keyframed in FCPX...

All you have to do, set a keyframe BEFORE the point should appear, and then a frame later another one WITHIN the frame...

Publish time parameter to FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.