Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen resoluton stuck on 27 imac

The screen resolution on my late 2012 27 imac is stuck at 1280 x 720. There are no other options in system prefs/displays. I have run through all the PRAM resets and reinstalled system software El Capitan. I have seen this issue come up for other people a number of times. Are there any other solutions that anyone knows or that have worked? The machine is not covered by Apple care.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 2:18 PM

6 replies

Jan 28, 2016 12:35 PM in response to SOAR1

Hello SOAR1,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If I understand your post correctly you are unable to see any other screen resolution options in the Displays System Preferences, even after reinstalling Mac OS X and resetting your NVRAM. To get started with this issue I'd like you to select the option to "Detect Displays" in your Displays System Preferences. In order for this option to appear please follow through the steps below:

1. Click on the Apple logo in the menu bar
  2. Open System Preferences
  3. While holding down the Option key on the keyboard open Displays (keep Option held down)
  4. With Option held down you should see an option for Detect Displays
  5. Click on Detect Displays

OS X El Capitan: If your display doesn’t look right

If the issue persists after following the above directions, please test this issue while in safe mode:

1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.

2. After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key.

You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac again, but don’t hold down any keys during startup.

OS X El Capitan: Start up in safe mode

Take care.

Jan 29, 2016 10:20 AM in response to AppleJoe

Many thanks,

That is correct, there are no other screen resolutions showing in System Prefs/Displays.

Now, after re-setting the PRAM 3 or 4 times in a row, the monitor resolution display correctly. However, as soon as the computer sleeps, it reverts back to the incorrect 1280 x 720 resolution.

When I tried 'detect displays' nothing happens when I click on the button.

Thanks again.

Jan 30, 2016 6:05 AM in response to SOAR1

Hey there SOAR1,

Next I'd like you to test this by creating a new user on your Mac, and testing if the resolution also fails to appear correctly.

Create a test user account

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
  2. Click the Users & Groups icon in the System Preferences window.
  3. Click the lock icon, then enter an administrator name and password.
  4. Click the Add button (+) below the list of users.
  5. Choose a type of user from the New Account pop-up menu.
  6. Give the user a full name, account name, and password.
  7. Click OK.
  8. Close the System Preferences window.

If there are documents from your original user account that you want to test with, place a copy of these items in the Shared folder in the Users folder. Press the Option key while dragging a file to this folder to create a copy.

Log out of your current user account by choosing Log Out from the Apple menu, then log in to the new account you created. If you're prompted to sign in with your iCloud account or Apple ID when you log in, skip this step.

Try reproducing the issue

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

If the issue persists, then it's likely a hardware fault, and the Mac would need to be serviced. You can learn more about getting your Mac serviced by looking at the information in the link below.

Service Answer Center - Mac desktops

Take care.

Screen resoluton stuck on 27 imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.