Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Star next to my name on my email?

Hello,

I'm writing because I have a problem with one of my aol accounts.. I have two aol email addresses and

today I sent my husband an email from one of them.

When he opened it from his iPhone there was a star next to my name.

We googled this and it insinuated that I have a google account???

I don't have one and I'm wondering if this is something from his phone or from my email. I also

sent one from the other aol and this one was

fine.

I'm personally aggravated by this because we each have our own emails and share a yahoo address together.

This makes me look like I'm hiding

something and I'm not. I just can't explain this to him so I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this..

thanks

Suzanne

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 2:39 PM

9 replies

Jan 28, 2016 8:18 AM in response to suetone209

OK so I understand that other emails can do this, but if I have no gmail and the internet states a star is linked to gmail? i'm confused....

plus I've been emailing my husband forever and this has never happened before so I'm wondering why this suddenly happened. Now he thinks I have a secret gmail account???

Are you saying that you think for some reason the email was questionable?

Jan 28, 2016 11:20 AM in response to suetone209

There is a fair chance the visual elements you see in some email, could be from anywhere

however if you could de-personalize a screenshot of an email so we can see only those odd

icons and items said to be (by your husband?) to be evidence of some Gmail, then send it.

Or, if not, don't send something with your personal email info in it.

I have two gmail addresses, from years ago, and use it solely; there has never been any

stars in my email; however almost every email system can add icons to an email. Some

are animated that appear in my spam. I've not see these as an option to add in my gmail.

What is the last part of the email's address? Some are more likely to be scams, etc

than others. You should be able to filter their arrival in your email. Do you use Apple

Mail and if so, what version is it, and what is the OS X?

GMail Help - Google support:

https://support.google.com/mail#topic=3394144

You could read into the Google Help center and other google mail (accounts) information to

see that by default most gmail does not have these. I've used GMail since a few years after

it was available (by invitation; I had to ask for an invite back then and be considered, first)

and even now the only email with all those odd icons, is junk spam or unsolicited phishing.

Sometimes a search online can help find out if your email content is related to a phishing or

other scam because some of them get reported. GMail itself has done a great job of filtering.

Until this past six month, I had not received much of any spam or emoji laden address line

email from anywhere. The ones I get now are clearly phishing/spam & directly go to Spam.

Because I've only used web based email and do not store any in my computer, some of the

issues people had with items (especially in non-Mac systems) from bad content affecting

the computer, I've never had. Occasionally I may save a few email (files, etc) offline. But

nothing of importance is saved in my computers; considering the drive can fail & you lose it.

Perhaps the doubter has to consider other factors in the allegory involved. Not my place. 😐

Jan 28, 2016 11:59 AM in response to K Shaffer

Well I don't have the message it's on my husbands iPhone. I sent it regularly like I always do..

I don't have a gmail account so I don't need to search anything to do with Gmail..

I sent my aol.com email to his aol.com email and when it got to his phone it was starred.....

Then he searched the internet asking why an email comes in starred... The internet said google email does this...

But,,,, this has nothing to do with Google or gmail.

I just don't understand why my aol.com to his aol.com suddenly and never before has a star next to it on his phone.

With the search on the internet and the search saying gmail... he now thinks I have a secret gmail account.. But... There is

no gmail account at all. this is strictly from aol.com to aol.com

Jan 28, 2016 12:29 PM in response to suetone209

Is there any AOL support for their webmail services, such as there is an entire site for google accounts help?

In the past, certain webmail services had various issues and other times their own devices were in question if

not properly announced to their user base. Some users aren't advised of a change, or missed announcement.

Seems to me the issue may be with aol.com. However by actually being familiar with a source of an allegation

does not make you guilty of a false charge by someone who appears to want to think the worst, while not going

into a trusted situation by giving anyone the benefit of trivial based doubt.

I'd check with other aol users, if you know any. I seldom see anyone I've been in contact using their service.

Several webmail accounts had seen some odd happenings a few years ago; often only spoofs of their own

accounts were appearing as though they'd been taken over. Few were. By acting on them, made it worse.

But that does not appear to be the issue in your and suspicious spouse situation. Not sure what else to suggest.

Hopefully you can get feedback from AOL, but people have been trying to get support there for years.

Some may actually have succeeded. Hard to tell. You could suggest your spouse actually get a gmail

account (part of Google Accounts and Services) to see what they're about. Maybe he doesn't like to find

that his basis of reason may not be so reasonable, as such belief systems tend to be vaporware.

Does he have an iPhone? If you do and he doesn't perhaps the Apple Mail offers these stars and they are on

and appear in outgoing mail automatically; or perhaps his own email is adding them to incoming from you?

Good luck in this matter. 😐

Star next to my name on my email?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.