Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Adobe Photoshop CS3 work with El Capitan?

Will Adobe Photoshop CS3 work with El Capitan? I am considering getting a new Imac (my current Imac's OS is 10.6.8) and do not want to get involved with a life-time monthly fee to use Photoshop.

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 3:28 PM

13 replies

Jan 27, 2016 4:48 PM in response to Mariaok

Just FYI, while CS3 will run under El Capitan, it doesn't mean that it will run bug-free. I run CS4 and it has some issues with plugins and occasionally the mouse doesn't behave, but I've learned to work around the issues. I too, see no point in paying to use software on the go, but alas, those days will soon be ending as the machine OS is going to kill the software before long (i.e. support for legacy stuff such as the older Java).

Jan 27, 2016 4:47 PM in response to pmiles

You guys bring me down, bring me up, bring me down....Well, all your information is helpful in how to proceed and I thank you for that. My favorite Photoshop was 5.5 but every upgrade thereafter required more clicks to do the same thing. Annoying. I had CS5 at work...not anxious to see what they removed/changed with CC. Also bugs me that I will have to pay for all of Adobe's products monthly for the rest of my life when I only need Photoshop. I know I'm being an old **** but "progress" happens so darn fast and continues to get more and more expensive and all I want is what I had before everything got upgraded. Thanks for your help and for listening to my rant if anyone made it this far.

Jan 27, 2016 5:17 PM in response to Mariaok

Why not take a look at Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo application trial downloads. They are in the OS X App Store, and both are 2015 Apple Award winners). See how much of Photoshop and Illustrator that you can replace with contemporary, non-subscription applications that are exceptionally well written. Affinitiy Designer has Photoshop plug-in compatibility.

I have both applications, but otherwise derive no benefit from suggesting them.

Apr 15, 2016 9:32 AM in response to Mariaok

If you are getting a new Mac, consider buying a used Mac that can run an OS other than El Capitan. A 2009 Mac Pro would be affordable and expandable, and could run both Snow Leopard and El Cap, or the OSes in between, if you can get them. You can buy Mountain Lion still, but not Mavericks or Yosemite. Mavericks is preferred by a lot of folks, but good luck getting your hands on it.

I think Affinity stands the best chance of providing viable alternatives to Adobe hostage-ware. Those of us in the market for alternatives are still waiting for the third piece, though — their page layout app, Affinity Publisher. Quark is still around but they haven't had the sense to offer really competitive upgrade prices, and they have shot themselves in the foot so often since the launching of OS X that virtually nothing would tempt me to try Quark again.

Apr 18, 2016 3:35 AM in response to kahjot

Hi kahjot,

kahjot wrote:

Quark is still around but they haven't had the sense to offer really competitive upgrade prices, and they have shot themselves in the foot so often since the launching of OS X that virtually nothing would tempt me to try Quark again.

Maybe have a look at QuarkXPress 2016? It offers many things that other layout apps do not have and the license is still perpetual.

And what would you see as a competitive price please?

Thanks

Matthias

<I may received some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.>

Apr 18, 2016 4:34 AM in response to Quark Inc.

Hi all,

Side note: Apple insists on this being an ad and therefore added: <I may received some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.>

To clarify, and as you can clearly see from my account name and profile: I WORK FOR QUARK. So "I may receive…" is clearly wrong, it should read "I will receive…"! 😉

However when you read my other posts here you'll see, that my participation here is not directly intended on selling you something via posts in Apple's forums. It is to help and inform people about what Quark is doing officially.

Thanks

Matthias

Will Adobe Photoshop CS3 work with El Capitan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.