Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wireless keyboard buttons number One & Two not working

Can anyone help, after the last OS update my wireless keyboard buttons one & two stopped working. I tried the "Enable Mouse Keys", where your press the "OPTION" key five times to toggle the mouse keys, but that has not worked. I got the "Display Keyboard" up to see if the buttons work & still nothing. Can anyone help?

Cheers

Tony

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.4.1, & iPhone 5

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 1:16 AM

Hi, Bay Boy.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I understand that keys on your wireless keyboard aren't functioning. Here are a couple troubleshooting articles that I would go through for this issue.

Your keyboard has one or more keys that don't respond

Use the Keyboard Viewer to test whether the keyboard keys are responding correctly when they are pressed.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu, then select Language & Text.
  2. Select Input Sources.
  3. Select the Keyboard & Character Viewer checkbox.
  4. Enable the input source for the keyboard layout you're testing by selecting the checkbox next to it.
  5. Make sure that "Show Input menu in menu bar" is enabled.
  6. Choose Show Keyboard Viewer from the Input menu in the menu bar.
  7. The Keyboard Viewer showing the keyboard layout appears on your display.
  8. Type the key on the keyboard that doesn’t respond and see if the corresponding key highlights on the Keyboard Viewer. If it does, that key is functioning correctly.

Notes:

• If the mouse keys feature in the Universal Access System Preferences pane is enabled, many of the keyboard keys may not respond as expected.
  • If issues persist, try starting up your Mac in single-user mode to see whether a software issue is causing the issue.

If your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad aren‘t working as expected

OS X El Capitan: If keys on your keyboard don’t work

Cheers

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2016 1:16 AM in response to Bay Boy

Hi, Bay Boy.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I understand that keys on your wireless keyboard aren't functioning. Here are a couple troubleshooting articles that I would go through for this issue.

Your keyboard has one or more keys that don't respond

Use the Keyboard Viewer to test whether the keyboard keys are responding correctly when they are pressed.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu, then select Language & Text.
  2. Select Input Sources.
  3. Select the Keyboard & Character Viewer checkbox.
  4. Enable the input source for the keyboard layout you're testing by selecting the checkbox next to it.
  5. Make sure that "Show Input menu in menu bar" is enabled.
  6. Choose Show Keyboard Viewer from the Input menu in the menu bar.
  7. The Keyboard Viewer showing the keyboard layout appears on your display.
  8. Type the key on the keyboard that doesn’t respond and see if the corresponding key highlights on the Keyboard Viewer. If it does, that key is functioning correctly.

Notes:

• If the mouse keys feature in the Universal Access System Preferences pane is enabled, many of the keyboard keys may not respond as expected.
  • If issues persist, try starting up your Mac in single-user mode to see whether a software issue is causing the issue.

If your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad aren‘t working as expected

OS X El Capitan: If keys on your keyboard don’t work

Cheers

Feb 1, 2016 3:32 PM in response to Bay Boy

Try reseting the SMC and PRAM:

Reset the SMC

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

To reset the SMC on Intel-based Mac Pro, iMac, and Mac mini computers, as well as Xserve:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Reset the NVRAM/PRAM

Boot with these keys held down:

Option + Command + P + R

Wait for the 2nd chime and release the keys.

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

User uploaded file

wireless keyboard buttons number One & Two not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.