Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect an older 23" Cinema Display to a 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display

I have an older 23" Cinema HD Display, Part Number M9178LL/A, and would like to connect it to a recent 2104 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display.

The Cinema Display has a power adapter and 3 connectors, a USB, Firewire, and a DVI (think that's what it's called).

The MacBook Pro has USB, Thunderbolt, and HDMI ports. I have a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter, but I'm not sure what I need to connect the DVI OR if it will work.

I also recall that years ago Apple sold 'docks', so that you could use your laptop with a standard monitor and keyboard. Is that still the case?

Can anyone assist??

THANKS SO MUCH.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 7:32 PM

You adapt the monitor’s DVI connection to the computer’s Thunderbolt(use a Mini DisplayPort adapter) or HDMI port. The USB and FireWire connections are only needed if you’ll be using the display as a hub.

(138898)

5 replies

Feb 1, 2016 9:54 AM in response to Niel

One more question, please!

I bought both adapters. I plugged the DisplayPort to DVI adapter into the Thunderbolt port and it seems to work fine. Ditto the other adapter to HDMI. I can return one of these. Which one is the better one or does it not matter?

I was a bit concerned about the DisplayPort to DVI adapter, as the marking on the adapter is a box with 2 lines, one on either side, and Thunderbolt has a lightning logo.

Thoughts and recommendations would be most appreciated!

How to connect an older 23" Cinema Display to a 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.