Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2014 MBPr at B&H for $1799. Good deal?

I'm still waffling on how I'll replace my late 2006 iMac. Truth is, I don't need much, but in considering going portable, I came across a 2014 MBPr at B&H Photo for $1799, free shipping, no tax. This is the model with the 2.5GHz i7 and 512GB SSD.

Am I looking at a refurbished machine? Can anyone give me a good cause for not buying this?

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 5:29 PM

Sounds good.

Compare the prices of refurbished directly from Apple http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac. These have been thoroughly refurbished, tested, and have a warranty.

6 replies

Feb 6, 2016 11:29 AM in response to goldglitter

How's the battery on your new 2014 MBP? Just got mine on Thursday. Battery was at 35% out of the box, when I charged to 100%, estimated time remaining was 3:00 hours. Did the calibration routine last--drained battery, let sleep overnight, charged full in the morning--and 100% charge estimated 6 hours battery life. Now I'm at 75%, with 2:40 remaining.

Having always had desktop Macs, I've only recently gotten over stressing about the battery on my iPhone, but now I'm worried about my MBPr. Perhaps another calibration is in order? Perhaps it's all the set up, migration, backup, downloading activity typical to a getting a new machine into working order?

I'd be curious to know what you've been seeing.

Thanks.

Feb 6, 2016 11:40 AM in response to Storyboy

Calibrating is bad. Running a lithium ion battery dead is bad, shortens its life. Mine stays plugged in most of the time (will not overcharge), but when used does not go below 35% ... I do not allow it.

"Hours remaining" is a moving target. If nothing is occurring other than a Finder you may get 7 hours, but not if the display is being powered because that takes power itself. Playing a DVD on an external display from the battery-power may only give you 1.5 hours.

Mid-2014 MBPr at B&H for $1799. Good deal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.