Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sd card not detected by MacBook Air early 2014

My MacBook Air early 2014 does not give any activity when I put in my SanDisk Ultra 4GB card in the card reader.

I searched through other discussions, and already made sure I put on 'hard disk' on my Finder preferences, I put the SD card in 100%, 90%, halfway, I locked and unlocked and semi-locked the SD-card.. no activity at all.

I need the SD card since my photo camera is broken and I cannot use my USB with that anymore.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 1:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 3:49 AM

Are you looking in Disk Utility?

Do you have another SD card to test with?

The slot may be faulty.

Ciao.

6 replies

Feb 23, 2016 12:30 AM in response to kfromh2016

Same problem with my Macbook Air 6,2 with El Captain 10.11.3 (though this error occurred with previous OS's). Sporadically, when I insert the SD card, it doesn't mount properly. SD card is fine & works in camera and other devices (and also in my MacBook Air when it feels in the right mood). I checked with the Disk Utility and the card is there, only not mounted. Size and partition are displayed OK; when I click in 'mount', nothing happens.

After a few (or many) attempts, eventually it will work. Any hints?

Feb 23, 2016 1:56 AM in response to kfromh2016

Here's the result of checking with Disk Utility (I'm sorry the text is i Portuguese, but it is easy to figure out the relevant information).

First image from a SanDisk Extreme PRO, 95MB/s, 32GB capacity. This one worked everytime.

User uploaded file

Second image, SanDisk Extreme PLUS, 80MB/s, 32GB capacity. Unmounted; showed up on Disk Utility but not on Finder.

User uploaded file

Then, after several attempts (removal/insertion), the second card finally showed up as mounted in Disk Utility and then Finder could find it.

User uploaded file

The only (significant?) difference between them is the speed; both have been formatted in the camera and have been used alternately. I have used cards of different capacities and speeds in the past and had problem with most of them.

sd card not detected by MacBook Air early 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.