Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to edit the same iMovie project on 2 different MAC laptops

I am in Germany and my husband is in Spain and we are working from 2 separate unlinked Mac Book Air laptops.

(1) I need to "edit" an unfinished iMovie project that is currently on his laptop.

(2) How can we share and both have access to unfinished clips, events, iMovie projects, etc. between the 2 laptops?

We only know how to share FINISHED projects but that is not what I am looking to do.

Could we possibly copy the unfinished Project file(s) to DropBox or something like that?

Thank you

MacBook Air, null

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 6:20 AM

This is possible but not easy. You need both to be working from a copy of the same library using exactly the same version of iMovie. You can't work directly from a copy of the library 'in the cloud' but you could use the cloud to transfer updates of the library. Libraries are often rather large so uploading will be slow. If the library contains a lot of other events and projects that you don't want to work on it would be best create a new library containing only the events and projects you need to collaborate on.

Of course only one of you can be editing at any one time and you would have to notify each other when you have finished and uploaded an update of the library. Its also essential to avoid updating the library while iMovie is running.

Another important point is to make sure that the library contains all the original media files and not links to files in other libraries like iTunes or Photos which won't work on the other computer. To do this you need to 'consolidate media' For more information see: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov882dee351

Geoff.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2016 6:20 AM in response to Michelle Mendelsen Clinch

This is possible but not easy. You need both to be working from a copy of the same library using exactly the same version of iMovie. You can't work directly from a copy of the library 'in the cloud' but you could use the cloud to transfer updates of the library. Libraries are often rather large so uploading will be slow. If the library contains a lot of other events and projects that you don't want to work on it would be best create a new library containing only the events and projects you need to collaborate on.

Of course only one of you can be editing at any one time and you would have to notify each other when you have finished and uploaded an update of the library. Its also essential to avoid updating the library while iMovie is running.

Another important point is to make sure that the library contains all the original media files and not links to files in other libraries like iTunes or Photos which won't work on the other computer. To do this you need to 'consolidate media' For more information see: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov882dee351

Geoff.

Jan 29, 2016 6:44 AM in response to GeeD

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for taking the time to post an answer and I have more questions.

I just created a new "Library" within my iMovie and at the moment it is empty and the folder is in "Movies". I understand that we should only put stuff in there for the particular project that we are working on.

But am I supposed to move this library to the "cloud" and how do I do that? And how will my husband access it because we are working from 2 different laptops that are unconnected in 2 different countries.

OK so here's the situation: (1) My husband is in Spain and he created a 5 minute movie that he needs me to edit but I am in Berlin. (2) He also needs to access clips and events from my laptop for a different movie project he's working on.

Are you saying that we can somehow share all of this through the new "Library"?

And are you saying that after one of us edits the specific project that we need to save it to the "new library" so that when the other person logs on to iMovie the revisions/edits will be there?

Thanks

-Michelle

Jan 29, 2016 9:52 AM in response to Michelle Mendelsen Clinch

"I understand that we should only put stuff in there for the particular project that we are working on."

Yes this is to keep the library as small as possible.

"am I supposed to move this library to the "cloud" and how do I do that?"

You need an account with Dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/) or other cloud storage provider. If your library is bigger than 5 GB (it probably is) you will have to pay for the extra storage you will need. You both need a fast internet connection else it will take many hours to upload.

"He also needs to access clips and events from my laptop for a different movie project he's working on."

I would start with just one project and an event with just the clips needed for it. This will be challenging enough. If you need to send him clips for use in his project the easiest way would be to email them to him using Apple Mail's Maildrop with which you can send files up to 5 GB. See: Mail Drop limits - Apple Support

"And are you saying that after one of us edits the specific project that we need to save it to the "new library" so that when the other person logs on to iMovie the revisions/edits will be there?"

If each of you have your the library on your local Dropbox folder it will be updated automatically when either of you makes changes - but it will take time and you need to make absolutely sure that the library does not change while either of you have iMovie running. In fact to avoid this risk (which could corrupt irretrievably the whole library) it would be safer for each of you to work from a copy of the Dropbox library that you manually update.

Although all of this is possible I have never actually tried to do it myself and from your questions I'm honestly inclined to advise that it is too ambitious - there are too many ways that things could go wrong.

Geoff.

Jan 30, 2016 3:42 AM in response to GeeD

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your patience and very helpful answers so far and yet I have a few more questions about the steps.

(1) I created a new library in my iMovie called "TEST Library JAN 30". Am I supposed to move this from the designated Movies folder location to my dropbox now? Or make a copy and then move the copy into a new folder in my dropbox... then send the link to my husband so we can share files from there?

(2) And my husband needs to do the same thing? Create a new library in his iMovie and save it to his dropbox? And move the current UNFINISHED project (5 min. movie) he needs me to edit into there? Or move a copy of this unfinished project?

Thanks

Jan 30, 2016 7:17 AM in response to Michelle Mendelsen Clinch

From your original post " I need to "edit" an unfinished iMovie project that is currently on his laptop." It is his library that you need to share to start with.

He has to make a library containing just what is needed for your project (making sure it has been consolidated). He then has to copy it with the finder to a dropbox folder set up for sharing (https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/4459) and email you the link.

You don't have to do anything until you receive the link. When you have downloaded the library make a copy of it somewhere else, launch iMovie and File . Open library > Other and navigate to the copy of the library. If this library works OK you will have got past the first hurdle. By then you will also find out if the library is too large or takes too long to upload (could easily take 24 hours or more) for collaboration this way to be practical.

Geoff.

Jan 30, 2016 7:55 AM in response to GeeD

Hi Geoff,

Oh ok so I have it backwards then. I will need to walk him through the steps to do this all from his iMovie acct. And then he shares the new library folder with me via a dropbox link. My other issue is the language because he is German with limited English... smile

You have been so helpful and I will keep you posted.

-Michelle

Jan 31, 2016 4:57 AM in response to GeeD

Hi Geoff,

So my husband's dropbox is full.

And he had the bright idea to login as "me / with my dropbox account on his computer" since I freed up space in there.

In iMovie I had him create a new library called "Michelle-share". He is going to copy or move the unfinished 5-minute project (that he needs me to edit) into this new library. So then I should be able to see it in my dropbox folder right away. We are hoping that he will not need to share the dropbox file since we are using just my dropbox account.

Thanks

Jan 31, 2016 12:29 PM in response to Michelle Mendelsen Clinch

"login as "me / with my dropbox account on his computer""

I'm not sure how Dropbox will handle the fact that he now needs two different local dropbox folders - his and yours. Will be interesting to see what happens.

"So then I should be able to see it in my dropbox folder right away."

It still has to be uploaded to the cloud and downloaded to your computer so I think the time needed will be the same.

Geoff.

Mar 9, 2016 3:42 AM in response to GeeD

Hi Geoff,

Sorry for the delay in my response...

(1) OK so the "Dropbox" idea did not work because there is not enough room in there.

(2) My husband is back in Berlin now and I am hoping we can share iMovie "incomplete projects" by using an external drive? Do you have the instructions on how to do this?

Thanks so much

-Michelle

Mar 9, 2016 9:43 AM in response to Michelle Mendelsen Clinch

With an external drive available to both computers and containing the iMovie library with consolidated media (see earlier post) it should be quite easy. Just connect the drive to whichever machine you currently want to edit on. Media imported directly from a camera or from ordinary files on either computer will be copied to the library but if you add media from a Photos, iTunes or similar library, the media won't be copied to the library and hence accessible on the other computer unless you consolidate the library afterwards. Even if the media is available for example in both mac's Photos libraries I don't think the links to the media on one machine will transfer to the other.

If each computer has a different library that you want to share just make sure they have different names and copy both to the external drive.

Geoff.

Mar 14, 2016 3:22 AM in response to GeeD

Hi Geoff,

Thank you for your patience and help so far.

(1) Ok so from my laptop in iMovie I created a new library on my external hard drive and copied a few projects to there and my husband was able to access these just fine.

(2) Today I tried to do the same thing but vice versa: copy projects from his laptop to the same external hard drive with a different library name. Unfortunately now when we open the projects on his laptop the video clips are gone and there's a question mark saying

"Missing file" AND "Try reimporting the original source media..." in his iMovie.

Does this have to do with consolidating data/files? I am a little lost on this part...

Thanks

Mar 14, 2016 3:54 PM in response to Michelle Mendelsen Clinch

I want to be sure of the situation:

So you have two libraries on the external drive OK?

Can you still access the library from your mac on your husband's mac?

Can you access the library from your husbands mac OK on your mac?

"Unfortunately now when we open the projects on his laptop the video clips are gone and there's a question mark saying

"Missing file" AND "Try reimporting the original source media..." in his iMovie."

Does this happen when your have the original library on his mac open and/or when you have his library on the external drive open?

If the clips on your husbands mac are from another application library on his mac and you did not consolidate before copying to the external drive this could explain the behaviour - but you would also get the same behaviour when you access his library on the external drive.

Geoff.

How to edit the same iMovie project on 2 different MAC laptops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.