Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Freezing

Using iTunes 12.3.2.35. OS X El Capitan 10.11.2

This unfortunately persistent problem was at bay for several months, but has recently returned.

If iTunes is in anything other than "songs" view, the program will freeze with the spinning beach ball very soon after opening. Most particularly this happens when trying to add tracks to the library. The program always opens in "artists" view, which is the worst in this respect. A freeze is inevitable.

Opening with wi-fi "off" keeps the problem at bay. That seems to be a poor solution, however.

I have no "smart" playlists. Podcasts, Internet Radio, Apple Music Connect and Shared Libraries are all disabled. iCloud music library is enabled. I have a lot of music not purchased from iTunes, which I listen via an iPhone.

Thanks for your help.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 9:57 AM

It sounds to me like a network speed issue, but that's a guess. Apple assumes everybody has flawless high bandwidth connections and if you are using iCloud you pretty much have to. I can't suggest specifics but if you can do something such as hardwire your computer to the Internet you may be able to see if it is network stalling that is a problem.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2016 9:57 AM in response to Jman25

It sounds to me like a network speed issue, but that's a guess. Apple assumes everybody has flawless high bandwidth connections and if you are using iCloud you pretty much have to. I can't suggest specifics but if you can do something such as hardwire your computer to the Internet you may be able to see if it is network stalling that is a problem.

Feb 6, 2016 8:21 AM in response to Jman25

iTunes is using 98% of CPU when it goes into spinning beach ball mode. Happens in Artist View, which where it is upon opening.

Force quite, re-open and switch immediately to Songs View, iTunes is at less than 10% of CPU.

What is up with Artist View that it consumes so many resources? The pretty pictures?

iTunes Freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.