Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sort compilations in iTunes 12?

Hi everybody. I just find out that if you mark the "compilation" checkbox and leave empty the Album artist tag, iTunes recognize the songs as "Various artists". This is great because knowing this I don't need to manually write "Various artists" any more, and so it doesn't appear as an artist on the artist view, which is correct.

The problem is that now all those albums, on the Albums view, appear at the end, and with a chaotic order. I use this function mainly for soundtracks and I would like to sort them by the name of the Album, so if I want to listen to the Forrest Gump soundtrack I look for it with the albums started by the letter F. I've tried to edit the Album artist sort option, but as the Album artist tag is empty it doesn't let me put anything.

And if this that I ask is not possible and all of the Various artists compilations have to appear at the end of my collection, at least I would like to keep them sorted by Album down there… I show you the strange order that shows iTunes with my soundtracks:

User uploaded file

Anyone knows how it works or if I'm doing something wrong? Thank you very much.

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 8:20 AM

If you don't populate Album Artist, I suspect that when you have your library displaying in Album view the sort order will be based on the first artist name on each compilation. Does that seem to fit what you're seeing?

7 replies

Jan 31, 2016 6:20 AM in response to turingtest2

Yes, that's how I had it before. But I like the feature that without "Various Artists" as album artist now the tracks from soundtracks and other compilations appear on their own artist too and that's cool. I guess there's no satisfying solution to this problem, maybe in future updates…

Thank you for the suggestions anyway 😉

And if somebody find a solution pleas share it! 😀

Aug 4, 2016 3:24 PM in response to Diecisiete

**Possible Solution**

I had a similar problem grouping compilations in iTunes 12. Using the GET INFO popup menu just wasn't working.

After an hour of faffing about, I checked the permissions on the files/folder in my iTunes Music folder and some of the MP3s were read-only. Once I unchecked "Read Only", it solved the problem. I could then select all the songs in iTunes and use the standard GET INFO menu to change the Album Artist to Various Artists, solving the problem.

Try this and I hope it helps.

Aug 4, 2016 3:29 PM in response to Diecisiete

**Possible Solution**

I had a similar problem grouping compilations in iTunes 12. Using the GET INFO popup menu just wasn't working.

After an hour of faffing about, I checked the permissions on the files/folder in my iTunes Music folder and some of the MP3s were read-only. Once I unchecked "Read Only", it solved the problem. I could then select all the songs in iTunes and use the standard GET INFO menu to change the Album Artist to Various Artists, solving the problem.

Try this and I hope it helps.

How do I sort compilations in iTunes 12?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.