Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to identify or open files on floppy from Macintosh LC

I recently found my old floppy disks that belonged to my Macintosh LC computer. I have several files on the disk that I would very much like to access.

My own Macintosh was no longer functioning, so I purchased another one (it's running 6.0.7), but it doesn't seem to have any applications installed other than Microsoft Works (word processor).

Can anyone identify the programs I need to open these two types of files and/or tell me how I could open them?

User uploaded file

null-OTHER, iOS 6.0.1, Macintosh LC

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 9:34 AM

1 reply

Jan 30, 2016 6:44 AM in response to NTsaga7

>Can anyone identify the programs I need

The top five files appear to be PageMaker (3.0?) documents. An appropriate PageMaker program version would normally be needed. If you are using a later version on a more modern computer, do check whether older version documents can be opened.

If necessary, you should not have a problem transferring files to and from another computer on 1.44 MB Mac-formatted HD diskettes. Any Macintosh introduced after the LC until 1997 would have a built-in floppy drive. Later models could use an external USB floppy drive. Mac-formatted 1.44 MB floppy disks can also be read by a Windows PC, but only if a Mac-disk utility such as TransMac or MacDrive is installed. There are other transfer methods as well.

Generally speaking, it is often possible to open files, and see at least portions of the contained text, by using a text editor (http://archive.info-mac.org/_Text_Processing/ or http://umich.edu/~archive/mac/util/text/ could perhaps show something of interest).

>My own Macintosh was no longer functioning, so I purchased another one (it's running 6.0.7)

Do you still have the old machine? If so, what was wrong? Does it have the hard disk drive?

Unable to identify or open files on floppy from Macintosh LC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.