Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple AC Wall Plug Adapter Exchange Program

When I enter my Macbook serial number it says:

The Apple product serial number you entered is not part of this program.

On the back of the adapter it has the number: 2312I

But an affected wall plug adapter has 4 or 5 characters or no characters on the inside slot where it attaches to an Apple power adapter.

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/ac-wallplug-adapter/

Is my adapter affected or not?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), Apple AC Wall Plug Adapter

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 11:24 AM

11 replies

Jan 29, 2016 4:15 PM in response to LKoenen

This a follow up on my previous reply. I just checked my wife's iPad charger and it has an identical adapter to the one suppled with my MacBook Pro's power supply and I was able to order a replacement for the iPad adapter online via Apple's website so it is very odd that the MacBook Pro is being excluded.

On another forum someone told me they took their MacBook power supply to Apple and was told it was fine as it had a mains lead. The problem is all MacBook power supplies I have seen came with both a mains lead and a wall adapter. Apple should be at least telling people not to use the wall adapter.

I have sent some feedback directly to Apple on this.

Jan 30, 2016 8:33 AM in response to IanD1953

I get the same response from the Dutch website when I enter the serial number of my MacBook Pro 2007 which came with an affected adaptor (with code 2907) but also has as adaptor with cable and plug (which is what I actually use). So I think what you report you heard on another forum must be the reason.

Geoff.

Jan 30, 2016 3:20 PM in response to LKoenen

The recall only relates to the adaptor that connects the Apple power supply directly to a power point. The power supply itself is fine. If you have the European 2-prong adaptor with 4 or 5 numbers instead of EUR printed on it then it is almost certainly one of the units subject to the recall. My power supply came with a mains lead but an adaptor was also included as an alternative to the mains lead. I have never used the adaptor because I think the MacBook power supply is to large and heavy to hang from a power point.

The Apple press release states: "In very rare cases, affected Apple two-prong wall plug adapters may break and create a risk of electrical shock if touched". Given the size and weight of the Macbook Pro power supplies I think the adaptor is more likely to break if used with these power supply than the much smaller power supplies for devices such as the iPad. Hence, It is really odd that Apple are currently excluding the MacBook Pro from the recall. However, I think this is simply a mistake on Apple's part which I suspect they will correct once they review customer feedback. I also know that some Apple dealers will replace the adaptor if you take it to them.

The other problem is that because the Macbook Pro is not currently included in the recall you cannot get through to Apple Support unless you have an existing service agreement, a warrantee or are willing to pay for a one-off consultation.

Feb 11, 2016 1:53 PM in response to GeeD

I was getting the English version of the same message until yesterday. The site is now accepting the serial number for my MacBook Pro mid 2012 13". It sounds like Apple still haven't upload all the relevant serial numbers.

It would be worth going the Contact Apple page and scroll down to Feedback and send them some support feedback to let them know there is an issue with their recall program. They do appear to read customer feedback and act on it. A problem with a recall should get their attention.

I have seen some photos of faulty adaptors and what happens is the end with prongs separates from the main body.

Apple AC Wall Plug Adapter Exchange Program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.