Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2006 Mac Pro connected with a fiber patch cord

I want to connect this fiber optics patch cordto my Mac Pro from 2006 , does a PEX1000MMSC would do the job or you recommend something else?

Mac Pro

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 12:24 PM

4 replies

Jan 28, 2016 7:35 PM in response to ZolomonJo

Your Mac can do Gigabit Ethernet directly over 8-conductor Ethernet copper cables directly from either of the two Ethernet ports.

It seems like there should be a cheaper solution that just does the conversion.

Most PCIe cards MUST SPECIFY that they work in a Mac, and they especially need to work with 10.11 ElCapitan, or when you upgrade they will stop working.

--------

Have you considered this card?

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/presto10gbe.html

Jan 29, 2016 6:37 AM in response to ZolomonJo

That card will work in your Mac Pro at least up to and including OS X version 10.9.5 (Mavericks). They do not say if it will work with later versions i.e. Yosemite and El Capitan.

There have been quite a few similar products that have turned out not to be compatible with El Capitan but I would think there is a good chance it would work with Yosemite.

For the benefit of others, there are four typical reasons for wanting to fit an Ethernet card to a Mac Pro.

1. To add an additional network connection
  2. To add a faster network connection, e.g. 10Gbps
  3. To replace a faulty built-in connection
  4. To support fibre for the purposes of a longer distance connection

The SonnetTech card listed by Grant is a 10Gbps card not a 1Gbps card and will therefore only work with a 10Gbps network switch connection. As it is possible to do 1Gbps Ethernet over copper cable for a distance of 100 metres it seems that no-one else bothers to make a 1Gbps card for Macs.

An alternative approach would be to get a cheap network switch which supports a 1Gbps fibre connection and locate it next to the Mac, then run standard twisted pair (copper) from the Mac to the switch at 1Gbps, and run a fibre 1Gbps link from the switch back to the rest of the network.

2006 Mac Pro connected with a fiber patch cord

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.