Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Keyboard and Power Button not Working

I´m having trouble with the keyboard and power button of my MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 Core i5 2.5GHz.

It´s not turning on. The keyboard doesn´t work either. Not even the function keys (Volume, eject, brightness).

The backlit doesn´t illuminate neither the Tab key. Also I can´t type anything.

I´m working with an external Apple USB Keyboard in the meantime. The trackpad works fine but I´m using a USB Mouse because the usb keyboard

gets in the way.

I´ve tried resetting NVRAM twice but it keeps the same. I´ve also tried the SMC reset but since the power button seems to be unresponsive too it doesn´t work either. The only way I can make it boot is to disconnect the battery and after a few seconds, reconnect the battery and the AC adapter and the Mac boots up again. Any ideas how to get this fixed?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 2.5 GHz Core2Duo 4GB RAM 1 TB HD

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 1:36 PM

2 replies

Feb 13, 2016 4:59 PM in response to nOmada

Update: I´ve decided to get a new keyboard and installed it myself. After the installation of the new keyboard it seems to work fine but it seems that the trackpad is also having issues, it´s sometimes jumpy so I decided to disable all the trackpad functions and it seems to work better. Is there a way to permanently fix the jumpiness of it or should I get a new trackpad?

Also the backlight doesn't seem to reach all the keyboard: it illuminates a small portion of the keys at the center although I´ve cleaned the backlitgh. Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

MacBook Pro Keyboard and Power Button not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.