Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remove windows and install mac osx 10

hi , I have MacBook Pro and I had mac os x and recovery partition but now there is no recovery partition and mac partition on my hard disk

I just have windows right now

please let me know how can I Complatly remove windows and get back to os X ?

MacBook Pro, Windows 10, i love macbook pro

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 1:12 PM

41 replies

Jan 28, 2016 1:28 PM in response to DjDarki

Boot from another drive or from the discs that came with the computer when it was new. Use Disk Utility to erase the internal drive. Use the installer to restore OS X to the drive. If your computer is a 2011 model or later then you can do the following:

Install OS X Using Network Recovery

Be sure you have backed up your files because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Network Recovery Server:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

For Snow Leopard or earlier:

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

Be sure you have backed up your files because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. After you finish Setup Assistant will complete the installation after which

you will be running a fresh install of OS X. You can now begin the update process

by opening Software Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your

installation current.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1.

Jan 28, 2016 2:21 PM in response to Loner T

this just hapend when I opend windows and I R-click on my computer and clicked manage then I clicked on disk manager

it just hapend from that time , I guese windows automaticly changed Drive's name (like it make himself drive C)

and mac drive didn't load anymore

so problem is I just formatted all drive exept windows

I want to know id there any way to install again os X from flash disk or internet or download automaticly or some way ?

I just want to remove windows and have os X for evere

Jan 28, 2016 2:21 PM in response to DjDarki

You turned a GPT Disk with OSX and Hybrid MBR to a MBR only disk, from which OSX will never boot. It is possible to fix it.

Please install OS X on an external disk and boot from it - How to install OS X on an external drive connected to your Mac - Apple Support . Try and use the same version of OS X as you have on the internal disk to avoid issues. You can do this using Internet Recovery - OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support .

Install GPT Fdisk once you have the external disk OS X working - http://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/ .

Post back when you have booted from the external boot disk.

If you have a second Mac and appropriate adapters as noted in - Share files between two computers with target disk mode - Apple Support - then Target Disk Mode ca also be used to fix your non-workign Mac.

Jan 28, 2016 2:28 PM in response to Loner T

can I do this with A flash usb with16 gig space ?!

and there is A help in that link you sent but it show how to make A external disk bootable and installable for os X just from osX , but I have windows 10 right now

and I want to test os X recovery fisrt then I will back with windows again to post here if it not work

Jan 28, 2016 2:47 PM in response to Loner T

User uploaded file

problem is I don't have any Apple Bootable Drive or backup drive

its like there is A program to make Boot or download again os X , and it start with holding Command + R

but it just done nothing for me and gone directly to windows again . is there anyway to install mac on USB flash dist and make it bootable From Windows ?

Jan 28, 2016 7:28 PM in response to DjDarki

You do not need one. If you have a USB, it can be formatted within Internet Recovery to allow OS X Installation.

Another option is to download the Windows version of GPT Fdisk to correct the issue.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/

Assuming you put Gdisk in Downloads folder, open a CMD window with Admin rights in Windows. CD to the Downloads folder and type

gdisk64.exe 0:

Do not double-click on gdisk64.exe. The number after gdisk64.exe is the digit zero followed by a colon. This indicates disk 0. It will look similar to the following.

If you see a question about MBR or GPT, choose GPT . Use Windows Snipping Tool to post screen shots to Apple Discussions.

User uploaded file

Jan 29, 2016 3:33 PM in response to DjDarki

Your GPT was corrupted by Windows LDM. You do not need to re-install Windows or OSX. This can be corrected.

Can you use Re: After installing windows10 using Bootcamp can't boot in to OS X as a reference and

use your specific values for GPT 1-4 only. Do not use the values in the reference when recreating the GPT.

If you are not comfortable, I can provide the exact commands.

remove windows and install mac osx 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.