Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook G4 Dead

I got this iBook G4 dead for few years what happend was one day he just won't turn on and I left him like that for a day then other day he turned On and I was normally working some stuff on it, and he was like that sometimes not turning on / turning on. And one day he completely died, I got two chargers some replacement battery but still not life in it. Any ideas where to start what is the most common problem on this G4 iBooks ?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 1:21 PM

18 replies

Feb 4, 2016 12:12 AM in response to my ginger

No sound when power button is pushed. When I push a little button on the battery there was some indication of power in battery for some time and now it's gone it was I think orange but now it's not showing anything. I tried without battery too but still nothing.

I even got new replacement battery and adapter from ebay but still no life in that G4.

Feb 4, 2016 9:49 AM in response to Thermaltake868

PMU reset. First try Control/Command/Power button. Then Shift/Control/Option/Power button. Hold down for about 10 seconds. Do you have the apple power adapter that has the ring on the end of the plug that glows when plugged into the Ibook? And does it? It will glow green or orange. Green for power and orange for charging. Sounds like the battery is too depleted to power it up on it's own. You could have a bad dc-in board. Known problem.

Feb 4, 2016 11:05 AM in response to Thermaltake868

When the battery is being or needs charging the light turns orange. The dc-in board is what the power adapter plugs into. If you had access to a fully or even half charged battery and it would start up. Then that would make it possible to be a bad dc-in board. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iBook+G4+14-Inch+933+MHz-1.33+GHz+DC-In+Board+Repla cement/182

Feb 4, 2016 11:05 AM in response to Thermaltake868

That is correct. A long time ago I repaired an Ibook that would not turn on. But at the time I also had an Ibook. So I used my battery to see if the other Ibook would boot. Then I tried my power cord on it. Finally I changed the dc-in board and got it to boot and charge the battery. It was process of elimination and an educated guess. If a known good battery would not power it up then changing the dc-in board might not have fixed it.

Feb 4, 2016 11:31 AM in response to my ginger

This laptop is sitting in box for 5 or more years now. First I need new IC chip because I messed this one up by reflowing the solders, I will get new from aliexpress it's 2$ there and put fresh joints, and then do some more tests. Plus I need to check how much is that dc-in. Will dc in from 2005 ibook be ok on this 2004 version of ibook G4 ? I found some store with mac parts that have dc in of G4 but from 2005.

P.S

Didn't know that dc-in problem is often on this G4 series I google a lot didn't find anything or anyone saying that, only that problem with bad soldering on that IC chip.

iBook G4 Dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.