Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data transfer from - Powerbook Duo 2300

My friend has an old Powerbook Duo 2300, (in great condition!) with some ClarisWorks documents which he wants to try and transfer.

It is running OS 8.5.1

I've already found a solution for actually reading the documents on a current mac. So that's not the issue. It is moving the files.

At this point the only way I see is with the floppy drive. He has the original that works fine. It reads and writes ok. At least as viewed on the Duo.

A SuperDisk drive with a USB that takes 3.5 floppies was found in one of his boxes and it works reasonably well.

He has some 3.5 floppies ClarisWorks Documents already on them that also existed on the Duo. They were placed on those floppies a long time ago. The SuperDrive can read them and transfers to his macbook. LibreOffice is able to read those files! Kudos to them. So I know it is possible to read the files.

Back on the Duo I began transferring some documents to a blank floppy. I erased to be sure. They clearly exist on the floppy when I transferred them. When I popped the floppy into the SuperDrive it would not read them. Or even mount. Tried ejecting and reinserting, etc. Nothing. It tried to read it but did not work.

I then took one of the floppies that did work as mentioned above over to the Duo. In the Duo it showed the same files that were there when it worked via the SuperDrive. I added a two files to that floppy and switched over to the SuperDisk. The floppy in the SuperDisk make an effort but could not mount, even though it worked before. I took that floppy back to the Duo. Deleted the two files from the floppy. Switched back to the SuperDrive and it was able to mount. Tried this a few times with the same results.

It seems when a file from the Duo is copied over now to the floppy it will not recognize it on the SuperDisk. It feels has something to do with the files itself? They work fine on the Duo.

In the past he had backed up a few files from the Duo. Those were in the floppy that works fine on the SuperDrive. Not sure why those work but at least those do.

I'm stuck it seems. So close!

I know this may be a shot in the dark but what the heck.

Any thoughts from old-schoolers?

thanks!

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 1:48 PM

17 replies

Jan 28, 2016 4:49 PM in response to boilerfan97

>Back on the Duo I began transferring some documents to a blank floppy. I erased to be sure.

First of all, was this a 1.44 MB HD diskette? A DSDD/2DD diskette in the special 800K Mac format would work in the Duo floppy drive as well, but can not be used in a USB floppy drive.

If an HD (1.44 MB) disk, has it been formatted Mac or PC? A Macintosh PowerBook Duo 2300 can handle both. Do you possibly have access to a Windows PC (with a built-in floppy drive, or an external USB drive) that could be used for an alternative simple transfer test on a PC-formatted floppy disk.

Jan 29, 2016 9:23 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

>Back on the Duo I began transferring some documents to a blank floppy. I erased to be sure.

First of all, was this a 1.44 MB HD diskette? A DSDD/2DD diskette in the special 800K Mac format would work in the Duo floppy drive as well, but can not be used in a USB floppy drive.

If an HD (1.44 MB) disk, has it been formatted Mac or PC? A Macintosh PowerBook Duo 2300 can handle both. Do you possibly have access to a Windows PC (with a built-in floppy drive, or an external USB drive) that could be used for an alternative simple transfer test on a PC-formatted floppy disk.

Yes it was a 1.4 MB diskette and it is formatted for Mac. One had about 17k remaining available after moving data to it from the Duo. I tried reducing the data there, leaving 125K available.

I don't have access to a PC that can handle a 3.5 diskette so I guess that's out?

Addendum

>I then took one of the floppies that did work as mentioned above over to the Duo. In the Duo it showed the same files that were there when it worked via the SuperDrive. I added a two files to that floppy

Was the total size after adding the files close to the maximum for the floppy disk in question?

By adding just the two files and not folders it was not near max. Maybe 300k available.

I also originally tried folders. Since that did not work I went to just a couple of files.

I did find some other old 1.4 disks. Any thoughts perhaps using those? Maybe a different starting point?

Jan 29, 2016 9:21 AM in response to Limnos

Addendum

>I then took one of the floppies that did work as mentioned above over to the Duo. In the Duo it showed the same files that were there when it worked via the SuperDrive. I added a two files to that floppy

Was the total size after adding the files close to the maximum for the floppy disk in question?

By adding just the two files and not folders it was not near max. Maybe 300k available.

I also originally tried folders. Since that did not work I went to just a couple of files.

I did find some other old 1.4 disks. Any thoughts perhaps using those? Maybe a different starting point?

Jan 29, 2016 12:12 PM in response to boilerfan97

It is strange that the floppy can be read when it has a certain content, but not when something had been added, and then again OK when going back.

The SuperDisk drive is somewhat special, being able to handle both 120 MB SuperDisks and normal floppies (1.44 MB Mac-formatted HD, 1.44 MB PC-formatted HD, 720K PC-formatted DD). However, this should not affect the ability to read the floppy, and could not explain why it works with one set of files but not with another.

Would it be correct to assume that you formatted the floppy in the external PowerBook Duo drive? Is it at all possible to format a disk in the SuperDisk drive at the MacBook (which Mac OS X system version?), and if so, any change?

No chance of locating another USB floppy drive for the MacBook?

Any other old (pre-1998) Macintosh computer available?

It is per se possible to transfer files via a null-modem link (requires a serial port or a USB-to-serial adapter at another computer), a local modem-to-modem link (using a built-in or external modem with the Duo), or a modem-to-modem link over the phone lines. For this one would use a standard communications program (terminal emulator with file transfer capabilities) on both sides. This could, for instance, be the communications section of ClarisWorks/AppleWorks (Duo), ZTerm (another Mac), HyperTerminal (old PC).

One could also connect the Duo to the Internet (dial-up via an internal or external modem), and transfer files as email attachments.

With a dock with an Ethernet port, there would be other possibilities. Any access to a Duo Dock II, or another dock solution?

Jan 29, 2016 5:53 PM in response to boilerfan97

>I did find some other old 1.4 disks. Any thoughts perhaps using those? Maybe a different starting point?

To begin with, verify the hard disk by running Disk First Aid on the Duo. Next, restart with the Shift key depressed (Extensions Off). Insert an HD floppy (preferably new and empty) and reformat it (1.44 MB Mac format) via Erase Disk under the Special menu. Drag-copy only a few small files to the floppy. Run Disk First Aid again and verify the floppy. If OK, eject the floppy by dragging it to the Trash, and lock it (write protect). Move to the USB (SuperDisk) drive at the MacBook. Any change?

Feb 1, 2016 1:42 PM in response to boilerfan97

Please provide some information for clarification:

1) The Powerbook Duo 2300 could also be a Powerbook Duo 230 with a new upgraded motherboard installed. Do you know which one your friend has?

2) The Superdisk with USB is an Imation product; not an external drive with an Apple logo on it. Is this the drive you are referring to?

3) The Powerbook Duo and its docking options never had USB capabilities, so you cannot be using the Imation Superdisk with the Duo.

4) How are you transferring files to a floppy disk from the Duo? I am assuming you do not have access to one of the docking stations Apple manufactured for the Duo, which had an internal floppy drive on its side (and the "II" model had an AAUI-15 ethernet port)

Apple sold its own external floppy for use with Duos: The HD-20; is this what you are using (see photos)?

User uploaded file

This drive requires a Powerbook Duo floppy adapter:

User uploaded file

Lastly, have you tried formatting an 1.4 floppy on the Superdisk and then using it to receive files from the Duo to transfer?

Feb 1, 2016 1:55 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

MlchaelLAX wrote:

Lastly, have you tried formatting an 1.4 floppy on the Superdisk and then using it to receive files from the Duo to transfer?

I do not remember if the Imation had the ability to format discs.

I also found this Imation support document:

Disk in drive x: is not formatted, do you want to format now? Mac: Floppy Disk does not mount on the desktop.

We have learned that on some computers, powering up the computer with the floppy drive connected can put it in a state where it will not properly read floppy disks. To see if this might be the situation on your particular system, try either of the following as a potential workaround:

1. Power up the computer with the floppy disconnected. Then connect the floppy drive, allow it a few moments to mount, and attempt to read a floppy.

2. If the computer was already powered up with the floppy drive connected and the floppy drive does not appear to be performing normally, disconnect the floppy drive [using the "Unplug or Eject Hardware" icon in the Windows taskbar, or by dragging to the Trash on the Mac]. Then reconnect it and try to read a floppy disk.

3. We also need to make sure that we are using 1.4MB HD (High Density) Floppy Disks, not DD (Double Density) Floppy Disks.

4. Try the drive on different USB ports, or another machine. Make sure that you are not connected through a hub or other device, but directly to the machine.

Feb 3, 2016 12:35 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Would it be correct to assume that you formatted the floppy in the external PowerBook Duo drive?

Yes I did the erase disk function in the Duo external floppy drive.

Is it at all possible to format a disk in the SuperDisk drive at the MacBook (which Mac OS X system version?), and if so, any change?

The macbook has El Capitan. Do you mean format disk in SuperDrive as OS 8.5.1 ?

No chance of locating another USB floppy drive for the MacBook?

Any other old (pre-1998) Macintosh computer available?

No access to another floppy drive that I know of at the moment.

I might have access to an old candy colored iMac, but it has a CD drive.

Feb 3, 2016 1:01 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

1) The Powerbook Duo 2300 could also be a Powerbook Duo 230 with a new upgraded motherboard installed. Do you know which one your friend has?

Here is a photo of the back. i have no idea if it has an upgraded motherboard. Is there a way to know?

User uploaded file

2) The Superdisk with USB is an Imation product; not an external drive with an Apple logo on it. Is this the drive you are referring to?

Yes. This is the one I use to read the floppy that was written by the Duo via it's external drive.

User uploaded file

3) The Powerbook Duo and its docking options never had USB capabilities, so you cannot be using the Imation Superdisk with the Duo.

Yes. He has the docking station.

4) How are you transferring files to a floppy disk from the Duo? I am assuming you do not have access to one of the docking stations Apple manufactured for the Duo, which had an internal floppy drive on its side (and the "II" model had an AAUI-15 ethernet port)

Apple sold its own external floppy for use with Duos: The HD-20; is this what you are using (see photos)?

I have the docking station, but not them one with an internal floppy drive.

I am using the exact external drive in your photo to write to the floppy from the Duo.

I haven't tried that yet. Since the Superdisk only has USB, do you mean format via the MacBook? Even if it could format, How would I do that with a format that will work with OS 8.5.1 in the Duo?

Feb 3, 2016 1:04 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

>I did find some other old 1.4 disks. Any thoughts perhaps using those? Maybe a different starting point?

To begin with, verify the hard disk by running Disk First Aid on the Duo. Next, restart with the Shift key depressed (Extensions Off). Insert an HD floppy (preferably new and empty) and reformat it (1.44 MB Mac format) via Erase Disk under the Special menu. Drag-copy only a few small files to the floppy. Run Disk First Aid again and verify the floppy. If OK, eject the floppy by dragging it to the Trash, and lock it (write protect). Move to the USB (SuperDisk) drive at the MacBook. Any change?

I will see what I get with this in the next day or so.

Data transfer from - Powerbook Duo 2300

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.