Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight closes after typing some characters (El Capitan, Mac)

I updated to ElCapitan last week, version 10.11.3.

Spotlight did work good the first days. But now the spotlight window just closes after typing some characters. Normally after 2,3,4 characters. I tried indexing all the files again but that did not solve it. Rebooting did not help either.

Does somebody have any idea? Thanks a lot!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 3:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 3:53 PM

amankaya wrote:

Spotlight did work good the first days. But now the spotlight window just closes after typing some characters. Normally after 2,3,4 characters. I tried indexing all the files again but that did not solve it. Rebooting did not help either.

Spotlight window usually disappears when focus is switched to another app. Are you sure you don't click on anything else than the search window?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2016 3:53 PM in response to amankaya

amankaya wrote:

Spotlight window usually disappears when focus is switched to another app. Are you sure you don't click on anything else than the search window?

Jan 28, 2016 4:42 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

you mean marking one reply as the correct answer? If you mean that, that happened by clicking the very big link that appears in the email notification that apple sent me for that first reply. There are two big links in that, one for the "correct answer" and another for a "helpful answer". I just wanted to come back to the discussion and clicked on the link "correct answer" thinking it was just some link to "reply". I did not read carefully. The link in the email to coma back to the discussion is written very small in the bottom part, easy to oversee.

Spotlight closes after typing some characters (El Capitan, Mac)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.