Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Split Libraries, Inability to Update iTunes

Hello. My sister is going to be getting a new phone soon (iPhone 6 or 6S - she currently has an iPhone 5 on 9.1 iOS), but we have some concerns. She uses a (very old) Windows desktop that runs (very poorly) Windows 7, 64-bit (let me know if you need any additional information on it). This desktop is on its last leg, but she cannot get a new computer for another year and a half, at the earliest; she has to get the new phone this May due to our contract terms.

Here's the problem: a few years ago, we set up split libraries on this desktop so that my sister and my mother could have their separate libraries on the same computer (mom's desktop BSOD'd permanently). The split libraries thing works pretty alright, but - my sister discovered a few months ago that she can no longer update iTunes. This is iTunes 11.4.0.18. She's tried uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes already, but it hasn't worked. We think that the problem lies with the a) old computer and b) split libraries, but she is unable to get a new computer, and mom can't get a new one for a while either.

Sister is able to back up the photos on her iPhone 5 to the desktop with no problem using Dropbox but not syncing the phone in iTunes. If she tries to sync, iTunes pops up a box saying that she needs to update iTunes, which, as I've discussed, seems impossible. We can't un-split the libraries, because then mom will lose her music/apps/videos (I'm assuming?). Sister has been updating her phone through WiFi, which seems to work well, so there aren't any issues with the phone. We've discussed using iCloud to back up her phone, and she is totally fine with that (and she only has about 15gb of stuff on her current phone, so it's not expensive).

So, the big question is: what happens when she gets the new iPhone? Like I said, she can't put off getting the phone until she gets a computer. When she gets the new iPhone, we'll populate it with her iCloud backup (likely while in the Apple store, since that worked well for me). She has a lot of music from CDs, though, and she would love to have those on the new phone as well, but it seems like she won't be able to transfer anything from the computer to her phone, since that link doesn't work now.

Tl;dr: split iTunes libraries, iTunes won't update, because iTunes won't update phone won't sync, have to get new phone before able to get new computer, what do we do?

Thank you so much! I know that this is kind of convoluted, so let me know if you need clarification or any additional information.

ETA: iTunes version.

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 2:50 AM

The split library won't have any connection to the iTunes update issues. Once you get iTunes working take a look at Make a split library portable.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2016 2:50 AM in response to hpsparrow

The split library won't have any connection to the iTunes update issues. Once you get iTunes working take a look at Make a split library portable.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Feb 12, 2016 10:29 AM in response to turingtest2

iTunes doesn't worth, though - that is the problem. And we had no issues updating iTunes before the split libraries. Now, though, it's several years later, and our lagging Windows 7 desktop refuses to update much of anything. We have already attempted to revert to an earlier iTunes version and it messed up the entire computer (led to spontaneous rebooting). Thank you, though. I do appreciate your reply.

Split Libraries, Inability to Update iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.