Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme remote access

Remote access to airport express using airport utility.

Can anyone help me with a step by step to enable the ability for me to access my ae 6th gen from anywhere outside my home network? I know some say it's not safe. I know some say you're better off using back to mac. I don't have a Mac. I just want to be able to access router and make changes, if necessary. i was able to do this on my lnksys router with no problem. I just typed in my IP address and I was at the login for my router. Since ae doesn't have web intreface, I'm assuming I must use my phone or pad using airport utility.

I dont don't think it matters but I have a simple setup. Modem (cox isp) hooked directly to ae 6th router. Random devices plugged into ae gigabit ports.

THank you

iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 9:31 PM

We are not responsible for any issues that you may have.

I assume that your ISP is providing you with a fixed, static public IP address and you know what that is

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Extreme

Click Edit

Click the Base Station tab at the top of the window

Enter a check mark in the box next to Setup over WAN

Click Update and give the AirPort a minute to restart

User uploaded file

Take the Mac to the coffee place or bookstore

Log onto the network and get a good Internet connection

Open AirPort Utility

Click Configure Other under the File menu

Enter the WAN public IP address that your ISP provides to you in the box labeled Address

Enter the device password that you use for the AirPort Extreme in the box labeled Password

Click OK

User uploaded file

The AirPort Utility main interface will open

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2016 9:31 PM in response to azmurph33

We are not responsible for any issues that you may have.

I assume that your ISP is providing you with a fixed, static public IP address and you know what that is

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Extreme

Click Edit

Click the Base Station tab at the top of the window

Enter a check mark in the box next to Setup over WAN

Click Update and give the AirPort a minute to restart

User uploaded file

Take the Mac to the coffee place or bookstore

Log onto the network and get a good Internet connection

Open AirPort Utility

Click Configure Other under the File menu

Enter the WAN public IP address that your ISP provides to you in the box labeled Address

Enter the device password that you use for the AirPort Extreme in the box labeled Password

Click OK

User uploaded file

The AirPort Utility main interface will open

User uploaded file

Jan 28, 2016 9:09 PM in response to azmurph33

Not what you want to hear, but unfortunately, AirPort Utility on an iPhone or iPad cannot do what you want, so cross that one off the list.

And.....the older AirPort Utility 5.x software on a PC does not officially support the newer AirPort Extreme 802.11ac.....(which you are calling a 6th Gen AirPort Extreme).....so I doubt that a PC would work in this case since Apple has not updated AirPort Utility for Windows since Windows 7.

If you can get a hold of a Mac running a current or recent operating system, that is the ticket.......IF......you have a simple modem, the AirPort Extreme is set up as the router for your network, and you know the public WAN IP address that the AirPort is receiving.

AirPort Extreme remote access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.