Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S hangs up moment I press the button to make or receive a call...

I have been facing a really weird problem with my iPhone 5S, which is whenever I make a call or receive one, my iPhone hangs up for about half a minute or so.

The phone actually hangs up the moment I tap on the button(the green button) to pick or make a call.

Due to this I cannot make/receive any call on my iPhone! and my iPhone is now rendered incapable of a mobile phone's primary functionality.

Let me try and explain the situation by writing exact description of the problem:

While making a call, the moment I click that green call button, a translucent black screen appears, and remain for 10-15 seconds....then the usual mute, speaker phone, keypad icons (which appears while making a call) appear. That too, sometimes with few of those round icons appearing as disabled icons.

-- The phone of the person I am calling rings, he picks up and talks, but I hear nothing!!

-- Then I click on the speaker phone button hoping I would hear something on speaker at-least, but I hear nothing.

The very same thing happens when I receive any call.

Except for the normal calls, I am able to make calls via other third party apps like Whatsapp, Skype, etc. But not using the iPhone calling app.

PS. I have reset my iPhone to factory settings twice already, but problem still persist.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 4:49 AM

2 replies

Jan 30, 2016 12:27 PM in response to pradeep_parihar

Hi pradeep_parihar,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

I see that you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone and you've restored the device already. I recommend going through these additional steps from If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone:

Update your software

1. Check for a carrier settings update.
  2. Check for an iOS software update. Some updates might require a Wi-Fi connection.

Remove and reinsert your SIM card

If your iPhone has a SIM card, remove the SIM card, then reinsert it.

Contact your carrier

When you contact your carrier, check the following:

• Your account is set up to use your iPhone.
  • There aren't any localized service outages.
  • Your account doesn't have a billing-related block.
  • Your calls don't have errors on the carrier system.

Still can't make or receive calls?

If you still can't make or receive calls, restore your iPhone as new.
If restoring doesn't fix the issue, contact Apple Support or take your iPhone to an Apple Retail Store or Authorized Service Provider.

Best Regards.

iPhone 5S hangs up moment I press the button to make or receive a call...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.