Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mother in Law sounds like Darth Vader (in iChat) from her MacBook Air to my iPhone, iPad and iMac - the trouble must come from her end as it the same on all our devices - any ideas what the issue may be and how to fix it?

My wife and I have an iMac, an iPhone 5S and 5C and an ipad

Whenever we receive or make iChat calls to my wife's mother (she has a MacBook Air), whichever device we use, she sounds like her voice has been slowed down

I assume it must be to do with the sound processor/microphone but wouldn't know how to solve the issue..

Any help would be much appreciated

😕

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2017 12:48 PM

Thanks for letting us know.

User uploaded file

7:53 pm Wednesday; February 3, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
5 replies

Jan 31, 2016 1:02 PM in response to UncleSlacker

Hi,

Congratulations on still being able to do this as many of use are having issues with this.

However at her end she need to open System Preferences > Sound > Input and check the volume is not set to high.

This will cause the Mic gain to bounce the graphics into the right hand end and some "clipping" will occur. (it cuts the sound to "protect" the system)

The Mic should be selected here.

It should also be selected in the app in Preferences > Video and Audio Pan and then the Microphone Drop down.

In some cases it should be done in that order (System Preferences then App).

If it is an external Mic then either it should be moved further away or the Volume in the Input pane should be reduced further.

Possibly if she happens to use a Firewire or USB based Midi Audio sound system then that might add complications.

Check Applications/Utilities and the Audio MIDI Set up.

This can add further "gain" to the Mic used which might be causing distortion.

Is there any chance she ia actually using a Distortion Add-on ?

SoundFlower can add functions to the Sound set up and might responsible https://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/

There are others.

User uploaded file

9:02 pm Sunday; January 31, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jan 31, 2016 1:32 PM in response to UncleSlacker

UncleSlacker wrote:

My wife and I have an iMac, an iPhone 5S and 5C and an ipad

Whenever we receive or make iChat calls to my wife's mother (she has a MacBook Air), whichever device we use, she sounds like her voice has been slowed down

I assume it must be to do with the sound processor/microphone but wouldn't know how to solve the issue..

Any help would be much appreciated

😕

Can you or someone in your family be with your mother-in-law when she is on a call with you to see if she is shouting or leaning too close to the microphone and still shouting - as some people do when use speaker phones - hands free - conference room. Work on her using low tones to be heard.

My Mother in Law sounds like Darth Vader (in iChat) from her MacBook Air to my iPhone, iPad and iMac - the trouble must come from her end as it the same on all our devices - any ideas what the issue may be and how to fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.