Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini (2014) Blurry or Off Center Display

Hi there,

I'm having a really hard time getting my 2014 Mac Mini to display correctly on both a small Magnavox HD (2008) television (that I am trying to "repurpose" for use with the Mac Mini), and my 46" Sharp Aquos. When I use an HDMI to HDMI cable (sold by Apple) the text is incredibly blurry. After a bunch of Google searches and reading many articles I decided to concede and simply buy a Thunderbolt to VGA cable from Amazon. The problem with the Thunderbolt to USB is that it works 50% of the time with no problem, but the other 50% of the time I wake the Mac and the display stays black, or the desktop appears 2" to the right and bottom (leaving a 2" black band along the left and top of the screen). The problem is fixed by unplugging the Thunderbolt form the back of the Mac and reinserting the cable (with both the Sharp and Magnavox televisions).

I prefer not to spend money on a new monitor if possible. I have friends and family that use televisions as displays for their Mac Minis or other Macs that don't have the problem. I've tried turning the sharpness all the way down on the televisions as was suggested in many threads to no avail (when using the HDMI cable).

This post looks helpful (and I found his commentary about Apple humorous), but a bit complicated, and it is for a MacBook Pro to Dell monitor.

Any help or insights would be very appreciated. My preference would be to use the HDMI cable if possible.

Thank you!

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 2014 Mac Mini

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 10:08 AM

vga is a horrible connector often one has to adjust position on the monitor itself because it being analogue the computer have no idea

dvi-i(d) is much better in that respect make sure you set the display to be in it's native resolution or it will always be blurry (unless you set it in a modulus 2 resolution like 800_600 -> 1600_1200 and visa versa)

td;dr if hdmi is blurry you're running the wrong resolution, if vga is off center then it's the bane of vga and there is no real cure apart from adjusting on the display menu/ remote

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2016 10:08 AM in response to zachieoh

vga is a horrible connector often one has to adjust position on the monitor itself because it being analogue the computer have no idea

dvi-i(d) is much better in that respect make sure you set the display to be in it's native resolution or it will always be blurry (unless you set it in a modulus 2 resolution like 800_600 -> 1600_1200 and visa versa)

td;dr if hdmi is blurry you're running the wrong resolution, if vga is off center then it's the bane of vga and there is no real cure apart from adjusting on the display menu/ remote

Mac Mini (2014) Blurry or Off Center Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.